Sunday, August 13, 2017

the SUNDAY SYNOPSIS #126

NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-SIX
STACKING THE SHELVES

This is my weekly wrap-up post and I will be linking with STACKING THE SHELVES, hosted by TYNGA' S REVIEWS.


THE SUNDAY SYNOPSIS

TELL ME TUESDAY
LAST. NOW. NEXT.

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
POST NUMBER ONE

THE DOG TAG
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
This tag is so much fun. I hope you will join us!


August 11th marked the sixth year anniversary of my friend Jani Lane's passing, and after an impromptu get together telling Jani stories on someone's Facebook page last year we decided to do it again this year. People were also sharing photos. Last year someone sent me one, but I looked horrible in it so I didn't share. This year I received another, but it is more of a picture of me and Jani's ex-wife because all you can see is the back of him going out the door. Anyway, it did make me remember the 27 seconds story.

We were all hanging out one night drinking and I drunkenly mistakingly said that someone had had their 27 seconds of fame (instead of fifteen minutes of fame) and Jani thought it was funny, so for about a year after that everything was "27 seconds". The most used one, I think, was "I'll be back in 27 seconds". Anyway, the funniest one is when he saw a photograph of himself in the outfit from the video below and said that he was that skinny for 27 seconds. Ha!
I think this was their first appearance on MTV 1989. Part of the deal with Jani's later problems, which lead to his death, was dealing with being an aging musician, or rather not dealing, so all of the videos I posted on Friday were some of his last ones. He was funny and goofy, and talented; and he always gave the best hugs. These were the only things that mattered to me when I first met him in 1988, and would have been the only things that mattered if we had still been in contact in 2011. Everyone ages and things change. I wish he could have been convinced this process was okay. Here is one of those later videos from 2009.

He always supported me as a "girl" playing heavier music and now that I am trying to break back into things, after a 25 year long motherhood hiatus, I could sure use some of his cheerleading. The ghost of that musical nurturing lives on though, because one of the young teens Jani used to mentor in the late 80s is one of my biggest encouragers now. I wish I could have done something to help Jani. All I can do now is be an encourager in his spirit. There are certain people in our lives who change a little bit of who we are, and Jani was one of those people for me.
If you want to read my story from last year and view a personal video you can view them: HERE.

⚫⚫⚫

MUSIC UPDATE
I practiced for at least an hour, usually two, total every day but one last week. I found out that scales are still not my thing, ha ha, but I don't hate playing them like I used to. Baz Manchild said when he gets his new bass he will play scales with me. That will make it much more fun.
I still have not started any songs, except for playing bits and pieces of those I used to know and trying to put them back together. I can't download any tabs from the guitarist I told you about last week because I cannot figure out how Patreon works. I don't want to buy a level and then find out it doesn't include the backing tracks, or buy a more expensive level and not want everything that is in it. Has anyone had experience with Patreon? Help!
I want to start out with this one because there is no tapping and the sweep picking he does on the skeleton guitar will be easy to leave out. Plus, Pirates Of the Caribbean, who could resist?


BOUGHT EBOOKS
I have five Alice Walker novels now. I have only read The Color Purple. I plan to re-read it before I read the others. I was good. This was the only ebook I bought because of the large Book Outlet order I had this month.

BOOK OUTLET
I only had time for quick generic photos. I could not get a glare free pic of the Patti Smith book no matter how hard I tried. The Winnie the Pooh books and Beatrix Potter series are the first books I remember getting from the library as a three year old, so I had to have them. There was a $20.00 off $75.00 sale, so I got $76.00 worth of books for $56.00!

I bought thirteen Beatrix Potter books! I already had seven. Goodreads says there are 24 books, so that means I only need four more to complete the set!

This is a complete set of the original four Pooh books with the classic illustrations. I could have done without the pink, though.

I had to use the Goodreads image because the cover is too shiny! I have M Train in hardcover, so now all I need is Just Kids.

EDELWEISS ARC
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL
FEMINISM
Publishes December 5th
This is a fictional account, based in fact, of Lord Byron's only legitimate child.


BLOG OF THE WEEK
This week it is a VLOG. Amber from THE MILE LONG BOOKSHELF does have a blog, but I watch her YouTube uploads: HERE. I love Amber because she has worked her way out of crippling anxiety, and she is a light of hope that things can get better.



TELL ME TUESDAY
LAST. NOW. NEXT.
TOP TEN

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
TBA

THE MONTHLY MOSH
JUNE AND JULY READING WRAP-UP
$10.00 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway

THE SUNDAY SYNOPSIS
Have a splendiferous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.