Thursday, June 6, 2019

ENORMOUS PURPLE MEGAPHONE - Let's Talk Harry Potter - Sherbet Lemon

LET'S TALK HARRY POTTER
SHERBET LEMON
US versus UK

This feature was previously titled Potter Chat, but I was asked to remove "chat" from the name because there is a podcast called Potter Chat. I figured if I had to change it I'd go way out there, so it most likely wouldn't match anything else: past, present, or future. Ha ha. The new name is a nod to the enormous purple megaphone Professor McGonagall used on the quidditch pitch.



SHERBET LEMON
Much to my surprise whilst watching this silly Wizarding World candy tasting video; with one person from the US and one person from the UK, it was brought to my attention that the definition of sherbet in the UK is different from what is considered sherbet in the US... a lot different!

After watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets here in the US (I say "watched" because up until The Goblet of Fire the US books said "lemon drops") we all thought Dumbledore's favorite candy tasted like this...

In the United States "sherbet" is a creamy fruit flavored frozen treat, somewhere between ice cream and sorbet. Now, I read an article from a British publication which said "sherbet" means sorbet in the US, but that's not true; they are two different desserts, and we do call sorbet, "sorbet".

source
This is the UK version of sherbet, it is a sweet fizzy powder. It's what coats the sherbet lemon candies in the UK. Our US lemon drop counterparts are coated with a non-fizzy sugar powder.

I love lemon drops myself here in the US, and these are my favorites!


Sherbet lemons being made at the Stockley candy factory in the UK.




All of this was much like the confusion over Ginny's jumper...


Back when movie Ginny wasn't creepy, ha ha.
We all now know that Ginny's "jumper" (and someone seriously needs to start a Wizard Wrock band called Ginny's Jumper) was a sweater, but here in the US a jumper is a sleevless a-line dress...

And lets not even talk about bogies vs. boogers!

And I'll be doing an entire post about ginger newt cookies with recipe in the fall!






Do you have anything to add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.