Tuesday, June 25, 2019

TELL.ME TUESDAY #154 - Last. Now. Next. - My Weekly Pull

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-FOUR
MY WEEKLY PULL

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



★★★★★
My buddy read with my son. I am so glad the first Vonnegut book I read way back when in my early twenties was this one. If I had read Slaughterhouse Five first, the book Baz and I buddy read last time, I might not have continued on with his works. We are going to read Breakfast of Champions next year.



MIDDLE GRADE
NONFICTION
LGBTQ+
Published May 14th - Edelweiss
This book was supposed to be Middle Grade, and I was excited to see a LGBTQ+ history book for the younger set, but I am disappointed because it reads like a high school text book. I dont think a seven to twelve year old would be able to comprehend this type of writing let alone be interested in it. Plus, age inappropriate references to electroshock aversion therapy, lobotomies, red light districts, prostitution, and illegal drug trafficking and abuse have been a constant throughout the book.

"The tension was momentarily eased by some spontaneous theatricality. A group of gay men lined up in front of the phalanx of police and began doing high kicks à la the Rockettes of Radio City Music Hall. Realizing that they were being ridiculed, the police began to advance, forcing the gays down Christopher to Seventh Avenue and then securing the area at both entrances. The violence was limited to minor injuries, and there were only a few arrests, but the point had been made: The insurrection of the first night was not an isolated incident. Accordingly, the TPF made another sweep on Sunday night. Lucian Truscott IV, covering the event, ran into Allen Ginsberg, who was a poet, writer, and for two decades a leading countercultural figure. “Gay Power!” said Ginsberg. “Isn’t that great! We’re one of the largest minorities in the country, ten percent, you know. It’s about time we did something to assert ourselves.” Ginsberg told Truscott that he was impressed by the look of the Stonewall rioters. “The guys there were so beautiful. They’ve lost that wounded look that fags all had ten years ago.” Truscott was perplexed by Ginsberg’s attitude. “As Ginsberg turned to head home ,” wrote Truscott, “he waved and yelled, ‘Defend the fairies!’ and bounced on across the square. He enjoyed the prospect of ‘gay power’ and is probably working on a manifesto for the movement right now. Watch out. The liberation is under way.”

Who thought it was a good idea to market this as Middle Grade?



YOUNG ADULT
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
ISSUE RELATED
Published April 9th - Netgalley
My next ARC.




MANGA. COMICS. GRAPHIC NOVELS.
Drop by Lindsi's blog on Wednesdays! There's a linky

GIANT DAYS ★★★★★
BOOK LOVE ★★
DESCENDER DNF
This was my HOOPLA haul for this month. The Giant Days graphic novels are continuing to be stellar! Book Love was boring. It was just a rehash of every old, I've seen it a thousand times, "I'm an introverted book worm" meme ever posted. The artwork was boring and repetitive in nature, too. I loved the art style of Descender, but there were all these tiny text squares scattered about with red on blue background that I had to enlarge, and then the page would freeze and the only way I could move to the next page was to exit the book and reload. The story wasn't interesting enough to go through all that trouble. Ha ha. I will most certainly be grabbing another Giant Days for next month, but now that my library has lowered Hoopla borrowing to four books I will most likely only borrow two GNs a month with one being a standalone, or a different series.




There are some stellar contests up on the Facebook giveaway page right now. Some are multiple book prizes. Most from major publishers!


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.