Monday, January 28, 2019

REWIND REVIEW - Classic - The Hobbit

THE HOBBIT
BY J.R.R. TOLKIEN


REWIND REVIEW is based on Stacee, from ADVENTURES OF A BOOK JUNKIE'S, READING REWIND feature where she re-reads favorite books from her past, and talks about them in reference to these three questions...

1. When did you originally read the book and what did you rate it?
2. Why did you love it?
3. After the re-read did your rating/feelings about it change; why or why not?



1. When did you originally read the book, and what did you rate it?
My best friend from junior high school was reading The Hobbit in seventh grade and was trying to get me to read it, too, but I tried a couple of times and didn't care for it. Her mother, who was the junior high librarian, recommended Jane Eyre to me and I loved it. I also remember being heavily into Dickens at that time, so I guess I was not in a Fantasy mindset at twelve? Fast forward to the summer before my senior year of high school, when I did read it and loved it, so much so that I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy the following school year. Because I remembered enjoying it so much, when I became a member of Goodreads, I rated it four stars.


2. Why did you love it?
Honestly, I don't solidly remember. My stepfather wanted me to get a taste of what he called the "real world", and even though I had been working part-time every summer since I was nine, and had also been working with my band, he said I had to get a full time job for the summer. The only summer full time employment I could find was as a motel maid. To make things easier I moved into the tiny studio apartment of the band's guitarist, his girlfriend, and our bass player; so there would be no extra travel time from home to leaving for gigs. Between the horrible maid job and living squished into a tiny attic studio apartment, meant for one person, with three other people, I think I needed that special escapism only Fantasy can provide.


When I think about it, I think The Hobbit was the first true Fantasy I had ever read. I vividly remember the parts of the book I liked: the beginning before they left The Shire, the time they spent with Beorn and his beasties, the first sighting of the mountain... through to the big battle; especially the scenes with Gollum and Smaug. It impressed me to the point where I can remember where I was reading, and what I was snacking on! These all remain my favorite parts of the story.

This is the exact cover art of the paperback I borrowed from a friend that summer.

3. After the re-read did your rating/feelings about it change; why or why not?
I want to mention that I buddy read this with Greg from BOOK HAVEN, he also had not read it since he was a teen. When I first started to re-read, I was thinking... ah, yes, Bilbo's hobbity home, and the mysterious wizard, Gandalf, but then the dwarves came and their damnedable songs! I didn't remember there being so many bardic passages. I must admit, it probably wouldn't have been so bad if I had been reading them, but I was listening to an audiobook and the singer sounded like a drowning billy goat! The dwarves broke into song too many times for my liking. Greg still loved it, including the bardic outbreaks. Ha ha.


It also wasn't as descriptive as I remember, there was not much depth to the characters or settings, and the scenes were laid out in plain ways. I was especially disappointed with the scenes in Mirkwood Forest, and the description of the Elven Halls. They could have been so much more. I think I am remembering the writing in the Lord of the Rings books. At least I hope I am. I'll be revisiting those next year during my 2020 Year of Classics. Greg did point out that we do get some solid elven history, though.

I'm not going to re-rate it on Goodreads, but The Hobbit would be a three star read for me this time around. I still liked it, but I didn't love it like I remembered. I'd also like to thank Greg for re-reading with me and listening to me rant about dwarvish singing. Heh heh. You can read Greg's more in-depth re-read review: HERE.

Are there any books you read as a child or teen, and re-read as an adult, which have disappointed you the second time around?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.