Wednesday, December 14, 2016

DOWN THE TBR HOLE #1

NUMBER ONE

I stumbled upon this Goodreads TBR clean-up feature on THE BENT BOOKWORM. It originated on the blog LOST IN A STORY.
When I was new to Goodreads I randomly put a 100 book limit on my TBR, but after I started blogging that went out the window, although up until last year I was able to keep it under 300 by deleting one if adding one, and only putting one book of a series on at a time. Then at one point everything exploded and it went up to around 500!
▪ ▪ ▪
I attempted to remedy this by making other "dedicated" shelves that would keep books off my to-read like: children's picture books, foodie books, and a "looks interesting" shelf for titles which only generally piqued my curiosity. This helped, but I have still crept over 300. I am hoping this feature will help me tame the beast. Ha ha.
1. Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf.
2. Order on ascending date added.
3. Take the first five - ten books.
4. Start where you left off the last time.
5. Read the synopses of each book.
6. Decide to keep it or let it go.

*I am going to cheat a little and include 14 books in this first post because these are the books that are left from what I added my first day on Goodreads. I am wondering how many I initially shelved that day. Hmm...

THE RETIBUTION OF MARA DYER
GOODREADS
YA PARANORMAL/MYSTERY
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: This is the last book in a trilogy I have loved and adored so far. There was quite a time gap between the last two books publishing, so I wanted to re-read the first two to refresh my memory because the storyline is not a simple one.

DECISION: Absolutely keep!


THE ISLAND
GOODREADS
YA DYSTOPIAN
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I read and strongly liked the first two books of this unique dystopic trilogy, I borrowed from the library, but alas, the library did not get this last title. It's strange because I requested it, explained it was a series ender, and they still didn't purchase it.

DECISION: Optimistically keep.


DANCE OF THE RED DEATH
GOODREADS
YA STEAMPUNK/DYSTOPIAN
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I adored the first book in this duology, even though there is a bit of a love triangle. I own both of them in hardcover. I am terrified to read it because I have seen a lot of not so stellar reviews for this one. I don't want to be disappointed.

DECISION: I own it, so keep it.


ENDERS
GOODREADS
YA DYSTOPIAN/SCIFI
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I liked the first book. The story was only marginally good, but for some reason I became seriously invested in the characters. I need to find out what happens to them! This was a duology, but I think there are rumors of a third now?

DECISION: Curiosity keep.


LYRA'S OXFORD
GOODREADS
YA FANTASY
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I own the trilogy as ebooks. I have to finish them. This is a sequel novella about Lyra as an adult; I think? I have it shelved because I don't want to forget it exists. It is only 64 pages so why is the ebook $6.99?

DECISION: Definitely keep!


GOSSAMER
GOODREADS
YA - MG?
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I love the summary!

DECISION: It's a keeper.



TALE OF THE BODY THIEF
GOODREADS
ADULT PARANORMAL
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I read the first three Vampire Chronical books and loved the first two. The third one wasn't bad, but didn't capture me like the others. From the reviews it sounds like this book is overly descriptive, and I don't care for that. Maybe later.

DECISION: Buh-bye.


NUMBER THE STARS
GOODREADS
MG HISTORICAL FICTION
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I have loved every Lowry I have read except The Son, so this paired with the synopsis makes my decision easy.

DECISION: Keeping it.


THE CITY OF EMBER
GOODREADS
YA FANTASY/SCIFI?
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I loved tne movie.

DECISION: Keep it!



THE THIEF LORD
GOODREADS
MIDDLE GRADE FANTASY
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I love Funke's Young Adult stories and wanted to read one of her MGs, but with a new YA series to read and another Inkworld book coming, do I have the time right now?

DECISION: Taking it off, but keeping it in mind.


AN ACCEPTABLE TIME
GOODREADS
YA SCIFI
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: This is the last book in my beloved A Wrinkle In Time Quartet. It is one of the first books I am going to read next year and I am not going to forget about it.

DECISION: Unshelve because I will be reading it next month.


A SEVERED WASP
GOODREADS
ADULT LIT
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I guess there is a book before this one. I will probably swap this one out for the first one at some point, but it isn't going to lessen the pile. I am curious to read an Adult title from a favorite Children's author.

DECISION: Swap out later.


THE RUNES OF THE EARTH
GOODREADS
ADULT FANTASY
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: This is the first book in a third Thomas Covenant series. The first six books are probably my all time favorite Fantasy titles. I am excited to read these four newer stories.

DECISION: It stays!


BACK TO THE DIVIDE
GOODREADS
MG FANTASY
DATE ADDED: 2/08/13

THOUGHTS: I loved the first Divide book and I want them all in hardback because their front covers open in the middle!

DECISION: I'm keeping it.


Three unshelvings out of fourteen, not stellar, but not an epic fail either, so I am happy.  Do you need to cull your Goodreads to-read shelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.