Tuesday, August 28, 2018

TELL ME TUESDAY #212 - Last. Now. Next. - TOP TEN - School Days

LAST. NOW. NEXT
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND TWELVE
TOP TEN

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!



Joining us this week...
Michelle from IN LIBRIS VERITAS
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!



MY GOODREADS REVIEWS
FIFTEEN DOGS - did not rate
LOVE THAT DOG ★★★★
I did manage to get to all of these HOOPLA audios before September! It helped that three of them were only around 200 pages in length.


It has a dog in it and on it, so there's another dollar for Jolene's rescue! Remember, my Dog Days of Summer co-host, Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG, is donating a dollar for every dog book we read and review in August. Click the link for details.


CHILDREN'S PICTURE BOOK
 CONTEMPORARY
DIVERSE
SERVICE DOGS
I won't count this towards my DDOS reading totals because it's only 42 pages, but I wanted to give all my readers with younger children the heads up on this story.


I'm in a huge depressing reading slump right now, so I seriously have no idea what I'm reading next.




HOSTED BY:

SCHOOL THEME
I chose the top ten books and items I associate with learning to read.
I learned to read when I was four, at home, I don't specifically remember being taught like I did with my son, but I know my dad ordered the Dr. Seuss Beginner Book Club books with this in mind, and the first book I remember reading by myself was One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. I think my reading achievements were very much a combination of effort from my father, my grandmother, and one of my older cousins.

This was my favorite page. Hey, I should get a tattoo of Clark!



The LITTLE BEAR SERIES books are some of the first titles I remember borrowing and bringing home with my grandmother to read to her.


In kindergarten I remember our first rudimentary reading lessons were given based on MY WEEKLY READER.
I was sad to read that The Weekly Reader was discontinued in 2012.


I know a lot of old(er) people like me, ahem, talk about learning to read in first grade with Dick and Jane and their dog Spot, but my first grade classroom had ALICE AND JERRY and their dog Jip. Ha ha!

 "Don't step in it!" said Alice.

And along with those Alice and Jerry readers came the accompanying workbooks.

And in those workbooks sometimes we received...
Remember being proud of getting a gold sticker on your reading workbooks and reading goal charts?


And stamps!


My first grade teacher also had saltwater taffy she gave out if you managed to get 100% on ten workbook pages and also for ten 100% spelling tests.


And does anyone remember the SRA READING BOXES?

They were a staple for reading instruction from 1928 to 1988. I loved these because for me they gave me a real sense of achievement. I guess later on they were cards, but back in 1962, when I was in first grade, they were little booklets.
And of course...






What are your memories of learning to read?
What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.