Sunday, January 31, 2016

THE SUNDAY POST #44

THE SUNDAY POST is a weekly wrap-up feature hosted by Kimba at the Caffinated Book Reviewer.


It is a chance to recap the previous week, share news, showcase books and/or bookish things we have received, and tell about what is coming up on our blog in the next week. You can view the guidelines, HERE.

I tell you to run and get the YA Fantasy eARC I am reading from Netgalley because it was so fabulous, however, it turned into a dime store romance about 2/3 of the way in for no rhyme or reason, with a sprinkling of forced sexual intentions. Ugh.


I also posted this month's K&M review on my Children's book blog, TICKLING DRAGONS. Five year old Kaylee tells us all about BAD KITTY GOES TO THE VET. 
She is so stinkin' cute!

On Thursday KissinBlueKaren asked us to talk about things we have won for BEYOND THE BOOKS.

This week was a freebie, so I tell you about the top books I read when I was a teenage hippie in the 70s.

In celebration of AUSTRALIA DAY on Tuesday, Melanie, from YA MIDNIGHT READS, posted one of her INSTAGRAM photos to Twitter. These are all Australian authors. I was telling her that one of my favorite books by an Australian author is THE MINNOW by Diane Sweeney.


Laurie from BAY STATE READER'S ADVISORY offered up a wonderful CARAMEL POPCORN recipe in honor of NATIONAL POPCORN DAY on the 19th. Have you ever heard of mushroom popcorn? No? Well, she tells you all about it.

Image by ANASTASIAMANTIHORA Deviantart.
Twitter was a buzz with tweets about the new SORTING HAT QUIZ on the revamped POTTERMORE. A lot of people were put in different houses. OUCH! My son took the new quiz and he remained in Hufflepuff, but he only took the original test a couple of months ago. People are speculating that if you took it the first time as a child or teen your personality may have changed since then. I was an adult when I took it, so we shall see. I have been sorted into Ravenclaw with all four tests I have taken over the years. I tied to log on yesterday to take it, but I have forgotten my password and am still waiting for the change email. If you are logged into your old account you can opt to keep your old house and wand if you don't like your new ones.
Pinterest is at it again with the "Picked For You" pins in our feeds, after they PROMISED no more a couple of months ago. Yesterday I had 30 pins from people I follow and 72 "Picked For You" pins; that's over 2/3 of my feed! 10 of them were about cleaning toilets! It said it was based on recent activities. Hmm... I was pinning cookie recipes yesterday. Plus, a pin about pizza that was supposed to be for my Harry Potter crafts board, a pin about palm reading that was supposedly inspired by my paint colors board, and a photo of a dog in a sweater sitting on an old lady's lap on a bus that was for my martini board. Huh? Plus, just because I have boards named My Music, and BoOkS, doesn't mean I like ALL music and ALL books! They had previously admitted on their Facebook page that the PFY pins were a huge mistake and they had done away with them, for good, and that we would only get one "promoted" pin per every ten followed pins. Liars!
♦♦♦
I have used free clipart three times lately that has shown up as the image when the blog post is published, but when I have come back to see if anyone has commented it has changed to a black box with an ad for the site I got it from. The last time this happened was on my Children's blog, and the site was PIXABAY. I don't know if the other two times were the same website. Has anyone else had this happen? I was wondering if this was a new "trick" clipart sites are using. Why do they think that replacing images with ads will gain customers?

And to end on a positive note... THANK YOU, Cait, from PAPER FURY for linking my WHATCHA THINKIN' BOUT post about naming book characters in your WEEKLY FURY recap post!

I am going to squeeze in the monthly LL (not me) & A tag later today while it is still January!

TELL ME TUESDAY
Can I manage a TOP TEN TUESDAY on my MG blog? Maybe.
Maybe a WHATCHA THINKIN' BOUT on Wednesday.
Thursday's BEYOND THE BOOKS prompt is Parenting Tips. Hehe.
TOP FIVE FRIDAY'S topic is Futuristic Settings.
THE SUNDAY POST
I will be continuing to add the page amounts to the books on my ARC schedule. It has helped because sometimes if a book is a quick read I will pick it up and get it read in-between longer books. Plus, if it is a 300+ plus page book I will know to start it a little earlier. I am almost caught up on this!
I also noticed that all the fonts on my section headers/vectors/banners don't match, so I will be taking care of that, and coming up with a new image for the Kookies and Milk feature.
I am also going to go through and update all of my reading challenges and do all the link-ups.

HAVE A FABULOUS WEEK!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for mentioning my National Popcorn Day post! I'm always getting my Weekend Cooking posts out late into the weekend, and this weekend's seems to be no exception. I don't mind the Pinned for You so much, but I try not to spend a lot of time on Pinterest and only pin recipes for the most part, so all I get suggested to me are recipes, but so funny that toilet-cleaning tips was based on "recent activity"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no clue how they come up with those PFY posts! When I went back this morning I had a pin about making gunpowder! All I can think is I posted something that was gunpowder metal finish and they matched the words because I hate guns and have never pinned anything associated with guns. If it was one every 20 pins or so, okay, but two out of three feed pins is way too much. :P

      Delete
  2. Oh I did not miss the "recommended" pins. I'm not happy that they're coming back. I'm intrigued by the popcorn post you mentioned. I love popcorn but I'm not sure about the whole mushroom thing! The Kookies and Milk section looks adorable. I'll definitely have to check that out. I love the book she has. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pinterest admins even thanked us for speaking up on Facebook. They said that the PFY pins were gone forever. Yeah, right. Kaylee and Shannon (her mom) liked the book so much they read all of the other Bad Kitty books they could find!

      Delete
  3. I liked your hippie post, great story about being arrested! :) I enjoyed seeing those covers, they look SO 70's. What a different time- it was before my time but I love the music from that era, especially. And yeah I don't think things have changed that much, in some ways. Anyway great post- and happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am glad I thought to do that post because it made me think about The Greening of America book again and how we still suffer from corporate greed and manipulation.

      Delete
  4. Its such a shame about your YA book! But I guess these things happen. Hope you have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, when an author pulls the rug out from under me, I almost want to give the book a lesser rating than when it is bad all the way through. Ha ha. :)

      Delete
  5. Aww, you are most welcome for the share. I ALWAYS SHARE THE BEST STUFF. *nods sagely* Oh oh and that's really annoying about the free images. Maybe try saving them and uploading them directly on your blog? (Or maybe you do that already. Idek XD)
    And I've heard the outrage about being rehoused in Pottermore. I find it mildly hilarious. xDDX Hehe I mean, I only just finished the series so I don't even have an account. I kind of do want to...because EVERY test I take puts me in Slytherin. Soooo...I would like to see if the official one does too. Mwhahah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny because most of my friends on the social site MyLeaky were Slytherins. I almost started another account so I could change houses and hang out in their common room. :)

      Delete
  6. That hippie post was fun! And so is this post. Must have took some time putting all this together. I keep thinking I'll skip a Sunday Post now and then, but I'm afraid I'll miss something good! LOL

    My Sunday post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/01/31/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-145-and-the-sunday-post/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha have the extra time because I am so bad at doing my extended blog reviews. Ha ha! :)

      Delete
  7. I am Ravenclaw too!!!! I have a huge wand too at 12 inches!!! Pfffft!!!

    Anyhoo Kaylee is so cute, I wish my pair looked so innocent, I am sure they are plotting to overthrow me as I type this.

    I'm off to read your Top 5 to see what naughtiness you got up too!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wand was really short. I think it was like six inches. Hehe! My son was the devil and no one ever believed me because he always looked so angelic! If they are devilish they should look the part I say!

      Delete
  8. I'm an extremely frustated Ravenclaw... Originally I was sorted a Hufflepuff and I'm now I'm sorted into Gryffindor!!! *wails*

    I have quite a few posts to catch up on commenting, so there I go! *crackes knuckles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only test Sebastian took as a child said he was Ravenclaw. So he had all Ravenclaw t-shirts and stuff. A couple of months ago one of his friends made him take the old Potermore test and he got Hufflepuff. They are dating now, and she is a Hufflepuff, so In think he may have "played" the test picking answers he thought would be Hufflepuff. Ha! I wanted to take the new test with my old account because you can choose to keep your old house and wand, but I have forgotten my password and they never sent me the recovery email I requested. Amber from Mile Long Bookshelf said she tried to get her password and never got a reply either. I guess that feature is defunct. :(

      Delete

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.