Friday, July 10, 2015

TOP FOUR FRIDAY #ONE


Seeing that I already have a Tuesday feature and always frown in a defeated manner about trying to come up with ten items for TOP TEN TUESDAY, I have decided to follow the TTT prompt on Fridays with four answers.




This weeks TTT subject was overly-hyped books I have not read (and probably never will).





There was a crazy run of bloggers going to NETGALLEY when this book was offered as an eARC; mostly because of the cover. However, I didn't see any good reviews from any of the bloggers I follow closely (at least I don't remember any)
.





GOODREADS

My original reason for not reading this book was not enough time. Then, after the second book came out, I found out they were about angels. No YA angels for me: no... no... no! Anyway, I had tried to win a copy of THE BONE SEASON at some point, so was following the author on Twitter and also got turned off by some of the insipid questions she was asking about people's thoughts on societal issues, but the sinker was when someone asked her about racism and bigotry on her Tumblr account and she explained it as bullying; that we ALL (didn't anyone ever tell her not to use "all" when discussing morality) make ourselves feel better by putting other people down. Why would she think that was the root of racism and bigotry? How sheltered of a life could she have led? I don't think people who are that unaware should be writing YA, so I am doubly not interested.






GOODREADS

It sounds too much like THE HUNGER GAMES to me.




  
GOODREADS

Contemporary Romance makes me cringe.






What genres, or themes, are an absolute NO for you? 

4 comments:

  1. The Red Queen was okay...I keep forgetting to type my review up, but it's only like a 3 or 3.5 for me anyway so no rush. I remember enjoying The Bone Season, but it was such a lengthy book and I read it so long ago I can't remember what happened. I'm going to have to find a recap before I can try out the second one. Normally I agree with you though, YA angels are usually terrible for some reason. I'm not religious but I've always liked the idea of angels...actual angels. The ones that run around with swords and do terrible shit in the name of good. Not the fluffy love everybody angels, or the I'm in love with an immortal being who has the mentally of a child angel. The Maze Runner is not like The Hunger Games, because it would have actually been interesting...That was harsh. I suppose other people thought it was awesome, but I was bored throughout most of it and nothing is explained until the last 25% of the book. You're not missing out on that one at all. I haven't read the last one on your list and probably won't. Fluff romance is sort of boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of the YA angel books I read were paranormal romance and were heavy on the romance, so I have steered clear ever since. I once read an adult book about angels that I loved and can't remember the titke of. I will have to figure it out so I can recommend it. :)

      Delete
  2. While I enjoyed The Bone Season, I could totally see why people wouldn't like it. It's dense and there is zero handholding by the author. That can be disorientating when you are given a bunch of new words/phrases/slang and there isn't a lot of explanation for them. I did not hear about the Twitter fiasco though. She is probably regretting her words now I bet. (This is exactly why I stay off Twitter).

    As for the others...I don't think you are missing anything. The Red Queen was a literal regurgitation of every other fantasy/dystopian book out there. The Maze Runner was actually ok until the "big reveal" and then it completely lost me. I liked the Stephanie Perkins trio, but I don't mind a little YA romance mixed in to my reading queue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The density of The Bone Season doesn't surprise me because the author also likes to mention how she has a degree in literature, as if it raises her above other authors. :/

      Delete

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.