Sunday, September 4, 2022

WHAT'S IN THE BAG? Better World Books #BetterWorldBooks #UsedBooks

WHAT'S IN THE BAG
ONE
BETTER WORLD BOOKS

Welcome to a new feature where I will be reviewing internet retail companies and items I have purchased. I'm also linking up with Stacking the Shelves this week because BOOKS!


THIS IS MY MOST RECENT ORDER FROM BETTER WORLD BOOKS


I FINALLY found the last book I needed, used, to complete my Ottoline series! I collect books with Chris Riddell illustrations. For some reason Ottoline at Sea was always at least double the price of the others on Better World Books. I have had the other three for ages. The others were less than $4.00, but Ottoline at Sea was always $7-$12. I saw it for $6.36 and gave in. Ha ha.

I hate stickers that aren't stickers, the ones which are part of the bookcover, and I hated this one even more because I knew there was only about 40% chance or less that the Bog Goggles would still be in a used book, but...

VoilĂ !
I don't know why these photos are so blurry because they looked fabulous in my editor.






Even though I was told these Sorcerer's Stone collectors editions published in 2000, with only one print run, are very fragile and even when rated "used very good" are usually not in the best of shape, I took a chance because I found this on BWB for $13 including shipping and handling. The going price for "used very good" on this edition is around $40 plus S&H. It arrived today and it's in pristine "like new" condition. It even had the clear protective dust cover still on it. When I opened it to take a photo of its special page with JKR's original illustration, I came to the conclusion it had never been opened before. The "like new" books go for $125-$300 + shipping and handling. I did good! Thank-you Better World Books.





This is the older, out of print, more sought after edition. I can't remember exactly why people feel this one is better, but it has something to do with content which was taken out to make room for Fantastic Beasts information, and simply because many feel the Fantastic Beasts movie shouldn't be in this book at all. This copy was rated only "used good," but it's in nearly like new condition, it's in better than "used very good" condition. I've seen "like new" copies going for $160, this one was $12. The new updated edition, with a rather ugly cover, sells for $72.


I've been shopping with Better World Books for over six years. They are a non-profit charity company that supports education and literacy programs worldwide. They also donate a book for every book you buy, even if you buy a dirt cheap used paperback. This is my total for donated books so far...


Shipping is free over $15, and only 99¢ for orders under that amount. There are some exceptions. If you are in the US and you want a book from the UK warehouse, shipping is somewhat higher; if you are in the UK or the EU and want a book from a US warehouse there is extra shipping, too, but still much less than ordering from international book stores.

My two favorite translation covers.
With the exception of the Ancient Greek edition I won, and the Irish Gaelic edition I bought from Book Depository when it was 40% off, I have purchased all of my Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone translations and special editions from BWB, and I don't think I've ever paid more than $13 and always with free shipping!


Usually BWB books arrive in the condition stated, but just as sometimes they are like new, and sometimes even new, I have gotten several books still in their plastic factory packaging, there are times when they are less than the condition stated, or paperbacks when I ordered a hardcover. In those situations you can email them photos and they will refund your money. You don't have to return them. I just pop those books in one of our public parks' Little Free Libraries.


If you end up ordering from Better World Books please consider using MY LINK, and you'll get $5 off an order of $30 or more. They also sell new books and ebooks.



Do you buy used books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.