Wednesday, September 14, 2022

THE WEDNESDAY WITCH #1 - The Year of the Witching - Practical Magic - Tiny Witch Things - Autumnal Equinox - Stone Soup #TheYearOfTheWitching #PracticalMagic #TinyWitchThings #AutumnalEquinox #StoneSoup

ONE
BOOK
The Year of the Witching
By Alexis Henderson
TINY WITCH THINGS
PRACTICAL MAGIC
AUTUMNAL EQUINOX

Hello, my magical mavens! It's The Wednesday Witch for the first time, and what better way than to start during Witchtember. This will be kind of a junction between my Toadstone & Bumbershoot posts and my La La in the Library posts; with a good helping of Fantasy book topics and quiet little witchy things.


I believe this. Make some magic in your life.




ADULT FICTION
HORROR
WITCHES
FEMINISM
Published 2020 - Own Ebook
This book would be perfect, her writing is delicious, but... I am only around 40% in and there have been two large coincidences. And the shame is, if she added a couple of pages to each of these events they would have been much less eye-rolly. Her similes are lush, but stay just this side of purple prose. The dialogue is natural and believable. It's also a smooth and comfortable read. The other thing that worries me is there are multiple major plot threads, and I've read so many stories like this where half the threads disintegrate and disappear leaving annoying voids. I hope she manages to pull it off.
And I want to stress that this is NOT Young Adult! Most people on Goodreads have this shelved as YA. In fact, I went into this book thinking it was YA. It didn't take me long before I was going to Edelweiss to check the publisher's page.
If you aren't a member of Edelweiss because you think you won't get approved for any ARCs, it's still worth signing up for two reasons: you can easily check to see in what reading age category the book has been published, and they usually have higher resolution cover images than Goodreads. They also have "Read Now" books, just like NetGalley, and you can download children's picture books and sequential art books (comics, manga, graphic novels) directly to a phone or tablet. There's also publisher messaging and I get offered ARCs all the time. There is also no review "feedback" ratio to worry about.





I have these in a large glass jar sitting on my kitchen window sill, as well as in this smaller jar from my sewing basket. I love having subtle small witchy things around the house.








Who watches Practical Magic for Halloween? On Instagram last year I saw zero posts about it. Hocus Pocus seems to be everyone's go to movie. When I had cable this was one of those movies where if I came across it while channel surfing, I would continue to watch it no matter where it was in the movie.

It's me, ha ha, except I would be holding a midnight cosmopolitan. I mean seriously, who, at this age, can still drink tequila? I thought anyone who imbibes has had their "tequila never again" experience by at least age thirty-five. Heh. 
I'm still wearing my hair in braids like the young witches, though. It's all the style now... granny braids, but I don't like the word granny. Ugh.

I'm going to be doing a Wednesday Witch post about the movie, and if I can find the time, a Toadstone & Bumbershoot post for a Pratical Magic movie night.




Someone asked why there was no Autumnal Equinox album on the T&B Facebook page, and it's because I do the same few simple things each year. I make Stone Soup for the first time of the season; which is broth from cartons, pasta and usually brown rice and a handful of barley, with grated carrots (it's the only way my son will eat carrots in soup and they cook faster), potatoes, peas, and whatever else there is to throw in. I bake beer bread if it's not too hot out. If it is hot out I grab some crusty bread from the grocery store. I make apple cake in the evening the night before when it's cooler out and drizzle it with confectioners sugar mixed with cider. We have cider for the first time. I buy sunflowers for the table and make apple votive candle holders. Before eating I slice an apple crosswise so the star shows and then cut thin slices for each person at the table. I used to make everyone say five things they were grateful for, for each point of the star, and then take a bite of their apple, but that takes too long when people are hungry, so now I only make them share one gratitude. Ha ha. When my son was small we would read the Stone Soup story before I started cooking.






STAY MAGICAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.