Saturday, June 18, 2016

SATURDAY EVENING CONVERSATIONS - Jo's Book Blog

JOLENE
JO'S BOOK BLOG

Hello everyone! Welcome to my first SATURDAY EVENING CONVERSATIONS. I had the idea to introduce bloggers who take the time to have a conversation with their replies in the comment sections on their blogs, but don't have that many other bloggers coming to visit those wonderful posts. I decided to make up a questionnaire with 20 random askings (some bookish, some not), for them to answer. Then I started thinking about making it a feature of some kind, but set up so I could include other things like my sister's reviews. I realized a while ago that I was never going to get those reviews unless I asked her questions, like a conversation. So, setting up these blogger Q & A's more like a chat over coffee made the most sense.  This way it can also be a place for my author interviews.


This month my blogger is Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG. She is a shiny brand new blogger and I want everyone to become acquainted with her and her blog. I felt guilty keeping her, and our delightful conversations, all to myself!

1.When did you first became aware there were blogs and what type of blogs were they?  Maybe about 10 years ago. My sister-in-law started one because she and my brother moved to California, so she started a blog to keep the family informed of all their adventures in California.  I was a stay at home mom and I knew there were blogs out there by other stay at home moms, but I didn’t have time to read them and I just wasn’t on the internet a lot back then.

L.L. We didn't have an internet connection when Sebastian was little, but I think I would not have had the time either. Ha ha.

 2. How did you discover there were book specific blogs? When I joined Twitter 3 years ago I kept seeing book reviews posted and I would read them and then go get the book from my library.  That is how I read The Fault in Our Stars before it got so popular.

L.L. That's why I think Twitter is great for blog traffic and I think what you said you did, with going out and getting the books, many people do.


  3. What made you decide to start blogging? About 2 ½  years ago I started reading a lot more than normal.  My kids were older so I had more time to read.  I was reading 2-3 books a week and I would post about it on Facebook to my family and friends.  After about 2 years of this I was the go to person for book recommendations.  Someone suggested I start a blog.  I thought about it, but was too overwhelmed because I wanted to include the 200 books I had already read.  When I finally came to terms with that it would be impossible to do that, I started blogging with my current reads.  It has been more cathartic than I thought it would be which is amazing.  I love having a creative outlet to talk about the books I have read instead of trying to keep them all in my head.

L.L. That is the big thing I adore about your blog. We have actual discussions about the books in your comment section!

 4. Ever thought about vlogging? No, I would break the camera. Lol.

L.L.  I totally disagree with that answer!


5. What is your favorite genre? YA contemporary.

 L.L. You can read my share then, ha ha! I do pretty well with it though, if it isn't straight up Romance.

6. If you were going to write a book what would it be about? Probably about a teenager that likes to rescue dogs and other animals and is bullied because he or she is a vegetarian and loves animals more than people.

L.L. I would definitely read that book.


7. What is your favorite book of all time? Oooooo that is so hard to answer.  My favorite classic book is Jane Eyre.  I just love her strength and perseverance.  My favorite YA book is The Fault in Our Stars.  I know that is a bit cliché but that is the first YA book I had read (other than Harry Potter and Twilight) that really made me look at teenagers in a whole new light.  It had been 20 years since I was a teenager so I was a bit out of touch.  After reading TFIOS, I believe I became a better mom to my teenagers and a better teacher.  I was able to relate to them better and it made a huge difference in my parenting and teaching.  My favorite series is Harry Potter and the Little House on the Prairie books.

L.L. JANE EYRE! You now have my undying friendship forever.


8. What is the first book you remember reading all by yourself? I don’t remember but probably a Dr. Suess book.  My dad would read them to me every night before bed.  I do remember the day I went to my town’s (400 people) tiny library and telling the librarian I wanted to read a book that was this big and I proceeded to hold up my thumb and index finger about an inch apart.  I wanted to read chapter books for teens, but didn’t know how to say it back then.  I was probably 8.  The librarian smiled at me and took me to the Judy Blum, Beverly Cleary, and Nancy Drew section.  I pretty much haven’t stopped reading since!
L.L. Dr. Seuss for me, too! I also read them with my dad. I love it.

 9. Music or no music when reading? No music.  I get distracted very easily! Squirrel!!!

L.L. I agree.

10. Coffee or tea? I have to have coffee in the morning or my children would never get breakfast or get to school.  In the winter, I do like to have some green tea in the afternoon or evening.  I would like to drink more green tea than I currently do because I have read so many articles on the benefits of green tea.  Also, I do enjoy UNSWEETENED iced tea in the summer. But if I had to choose only one to drink for the rest of my life it would be coffee.

L.L. I have this green tea and white peach flavor I love. I will have to send you some.


11. If you could have the complete works of one author, for free, whom would you pick? I already have the complete works of my favorite authors but I would love first printings of The Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

L.L. You and my sister would get along famously. 

12. Favorite book that was assigned in school? The Diary of Anne Frank.

L.L. That would certainly be my second choice after To Kill a Mockingbird.

13. Favorite season? Autumn.  Autumn here in Iowa is beautiful.  The trees change colors, it isn’t 100 degrees anymore, people have pumpkins on their porches, and farmers are in the fields harvesting their crops so there are tractors everywhere.

L.L. Same!


14. Favorite reading spot? On the couch with my 2 dogs on my lap.

L.L. If I had two dogs that would be mine, too, but all I have is one grumpy cat. Heh heh.

15. Favorite book to movie adaptation? The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.  I am NOT a Nicolas Sparks fan but I did see the movie first and loved it.  I did not like the book.  One of the only times I can say the movie was better than the book.

L.L. I have not read the book, nor seen the movie. Maybe I should give it a watch.

16. The book that made you cry the hardest? The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

L.L. Mine is Where the Red Fern Grows.

 17. Your all time favorite book character? Luna Lovegood. I wish I would have been more like her in high school.  Not caring what people thought of me.  She just is herself. Quirky and loyal.

L.L. She would most certainly be in my top five!


18. What book series do you think would make a great television show? Harry Potter!!!! I loved the movies but so much was left out or changed because there just wasn’t enough time to include everything in the movies.  It would have been great to see so many of the characters and scenes played out that were left out of the movies.  For example, there was so much back story to Voldemort and we only saw a fraction of it.

L.L. Right after the last movie came out someone on a Harry Potter social site was talking about a television series and I was totally against it, but now that some time has passed I have softened up about it. If the BBC did it I would give it the thumbs up.

  19. Favorite book pet? Fawkes the Phoenix from Harry Potter. I love the fact that Phoenixes can die and be reborn, and have multiple chances in life.

L.L. I think mine would be Hedwig.

 20. What is your favorite thing about blogging? Interacting with other bloggers and people who love to read as much as I do. I also like having a record of what I have read because I am sure 20 years from now I won’t remember!

L.L. I am always thinking about my someday grandchildren stumbling upon my blog and saying, "Grandmother read that book?!"


I want to thank Jo for taking the time to chat with me here on my new feature.

If you had fun listening in on our conversation give Jolene's blog, JO'S BOOK BLOG, a follow and join us in our conversations!

OTHER SEC BLOGGER INTERVIEW'S
So Long... & Thanks For All The Fish
▪▪▪
Victorian Soul Critiques
▪▪▪
Rattle the Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.