Sunday, January 3, 2016

THE SUNDAY POST #40

THE SUNDAY POST is a weekly wrap-up feature hosted by Kimba at the Caffinated Book Reviewer


It is a chance to recap the previous week, share news, showcase books and/or bookish things we have received, and tell about what is coming up on our blog in the next week. You can view the guidelines, HERE.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Day.

The new blog color theme is purple. Purple is the color of change and I hope to change from Bloglovin' to WordPress this year. I am going to experiment with my personal blog first. My main priority is to get the email reply jetpack, where you only get notified of replies to your own comment, not everyone's new comments and replies. I think this is ridiculously great and appreciate Kimba and Cait using this add-on.

Over the week I posted the last three of my FIVE CHALLENGES, that's five, count 'em, FIVE challenges. Three of them are for cleaning up my TBR, so it really isn't as bad as it sounds (that's what I keep telling myself anyway). Hehe.
1. COYER CHALLENGE
2. ROCK MY TBR CHALLENGE
3. RE-READ CHALLENGE
4. DIVERSE READS CHALLENGE
5. NETGALLEY AND EDELWEISS CHALLENGE


TELL ME TUESDAY
I tell you about how MORE HAPPY THAN NOT made me cry and how ILLUMINAE left me flat.

By the time I found my last few remaining deleted Goodreads ratings and reviews (yes, that is still going on and the total is sneaking up on 50, now) and re-entered them, my total books read was 112. At the last minute I decided to get a Middle Grade ARC, I had just gotten as a Netgally "wish" approval, read before midnight and I was elated that I did!
THE NIGHT PARADE is a standalone set in Japan. The imagery was magnificent. I was so intoxicated with this book I couldn't read the book I had planned on reading New Years Day. It was a wonderful way to end my year.


I tackled the beast that is the END OF YEAR BOOK SURVEY and posted it New Years Day. This post was a gargantuan undertaking, and by the time I was done adding all the links I was under the dining room table rocking back and forth and sucking my thumb. Please go and have a peek because if you don't I may cry.

New Years Eve I stayed in. Sebastian was home until a bit after midnight because all of his friends were either working or at family parties. They all agreed to meet later at a friend's place. We were going to go downtown to see the new countdown ball and fireworks, but it was too cold and we can see the fireworks from our backporch anyway. Here is a video of what I missed. Ha ha.
I had vodka for martinis and the internet, so I was all set!

There were a couple of great articles on publishing out this week.
You can read about how an editor's job has changed in the last few years: HERE.
You can read about how 571 million print books were sold in 2015 and the trends for 2016: HERE.

TELL ME TUESDAY
WHATCHA THINKIN' BOUT WEDNESDAY
TOP FIVE FRIDAY
THE SUNDAY POST
Have a fabulous first week of 2016!

14 comments:

  1. You've got me on board with The Night Parade. It sounds wonderful and that cover! The End of the Year Survey is gargantuan. I'm seriously impressed with those who complete it. I think I'd be under the table too. I love the new blog color and good luck with your goals this year! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine. I have been super intrigued by some of the WordPress add-ons, and really want to make the blog more user friendly. I was not expecting to love that book as much as I did. The story is about the relationship between a 13 year old and her grandmother, and that always captures my heart because I was very close to both of my grandmothers. Plus I love Japanese folklore. :)

      Delete
  2. Okay I DEFINITELY need Night Parade. *nods* That cover is gorgeous and Japan!??! *dashes to goodreads immediately* Oh oh and Wordpress moves are exciting!! I'm so glad my relative did it all for me, though, because I wouldn't been LOST. XD Oh and did you know if you get the IntenseDebate commenting platform you can email back replies too? Just in case that interests you! (Not trying to turn you off WP or anything :P haha, I love WP! Just wanted to put IntenseDebate out there. XD) Getting replies is THE BEST. ;D Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The Night Parade! I think it will be the book I push on people this year. I want all those neat "thingies" on WP. I love getting the email reply notifications. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year to you too, mine was quiet as well and I liked it. :) I have a cousin who lives in Binghamton, so that video caught my eye. Glad you had a good NY. Good luck with the challenges- I'm going to go read your Illuminae post (I liked it but not as much) and your end of year post. Have a super duper week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and Happy New Year to you, too. Thanks for visiting my survey, it was a lot of work. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to decide what challenges to join this year. I always do the Goodreads challenge, but mostly use it to track how much I read. I'm also doing the Audiobook Challenge this year...but I'm stuck on what others I might enjoy. I try to change it up each year to keep things fresh. I like the new blog design, I've been thinking about changing mine up as well...but since I do everything myself it takes me about a month to get everything ready. :/ I really need to invest in hosting services. The Night Parade looks awesome, I'm adding that to my wishlist.

    I hope you have a good week this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I have kind of kept the same blog layout this year, ha ha miracles because my first year blogging It completely changed it up five times! And yes, The Night Parade was delicious. :)

      Delete
  5. I still need to work on my sign up post for the Diversity Challenge that will also be my fifth challenge for this year! I keep on worrying I have bitten off more than I can chew!! ;)

    My 1st of Jan was quite quiet, I went to have lunch with my parents but otherwise I did a bit of clean up around the house and then spent the rest of the day reading in bed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read in bed too with a martini on my bedside table and my cat. Ha ha. It was nice for a change to have Sebastian at home at midnight, for a kiss and a hug. I think he has been gone the last four three years. :)

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year from wet and cold Scotland!!!!!

    I finished the Night Parade the other night and it was just wonderful, from the description of the food to the mountain to the parade, it was just such an amazing read, so glad you pointed me in its direction!!!

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was enchanted by the book. I am so happy you loved it, too. Such a great read for both older middle school and YA readers. Happy New Year from the US!

      Delete
  7. The Night Parade looks so fun!! I love Japanese mythology, and judging by the cover (paired with that title) it looks like it might have something to do with that? (It reminds me quite a lot of the cat parade from The Cat Returns or all the characters in Spirited Away!) I'm glad you overall had a great year, and I'm glad you had a great book to finish it off :)

    (P.s. I really like the irl redhead picture you used, it's so pretty!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, you would love The Night Parade. If it is ever on Book Outlet, I am going to buy the hardcover. I saw the whole thing in my head as an anime, ha ha! Plus I really love stories with grandparents.

      Delete

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.