Tuesday, July 16, 2019

TELL ME TUESDAY #257 - Last. Now. Next. TOP TEN - Auto-Buy Authors

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-SEVEN
TOP TEN

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Michelle from IN LIBRIS VERITAS
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



ADULT SCIENCE FICTION
STANDALONE
Published June 11th - Netgalley
I'm still trying to figure out how to rate this book. The entire premise of teaching individuals with autism to feel embarrassment for social foibles, for example: being too blunt with comments because they don't understand about offending people, is wrong. The author did show how this had a negative effect on the characters, but my problem is it is not really possible to teach them to identify when they need to soften the truth, or not say anything at all. I saw some reviews where the readers were saying it gives hope for people with autism to become more social. Ugh. So first of all the readers missed the point where the book says this is a negative thing, and second of all it gives the impression it's possible to do this in the first place. Parents and caregivers of people with autism have enough pressure on them, as well as the individuals themselves, to have "socially acceptable" interactions in public. This book didn't help that situation at all. Being more "socially acceptable" doesn't make them happier, what will make them happier is for the public to be accepting of the way they are. I also had some writing issues with it, too, but the themes were fresh.



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HIGH FANTASY
Published February 26th 2019 - Owned
Because The Outside bogged me down so much, my son has gotten way ahead of me in our buddy read. I'm still at an it's okay but nothing special place, but he said what he's reading now is good, so I have motivation to keep reading.

ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
FANTASY - HISTORICAL FICTION
Published May 7th 2019 - Edelweiss
This book was delicious from the first sentence! It's another atmospheric story and it is also alternative history. 



ADULT
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION 1969
FAMILY - DOWN SYNDROME
Publishes August 9th - Edelweiss
I am so excited to get to this review ARC! The author's last book, Rust and Stardust, was one of my top reads last year.



FIVE YEARS AGO...
TELL ME TUESDAY NUMBER SEVEN was posted on July 15th, 2014. I was reading a NetGalley ARC titled FROZEN by Melissa de la Cruz, which I was thinking about DNFing and if I remember correctly I did, ha ha! Ahh... back in the day when hyping books and authors wasn't so much of a thing and you could DNF a book on Goodreads and give it one or two stars for bad writing, and not get attacked by the author's rabid fans for "not reading the entire book" before rating it.





HOSTED BY

AUTO-BUY AUTHORS

I don't really have auto-buy authors because most of the authors I would consider doing this for have passed on, and other's seem to like to dabble in multiple genres and reading classifications I'm not into. However, I do have authors whom I check regularly for on NetGalley and Edelweiss to nab those precious ARCs; and I also have them on my Amazon Kindle wishlist, so I can scoop up those bargain ebook deals!
In most cases I only buy physical copies of books I have already read, and loved. I have serious space restraints here in our tiny city apartment; and as I am newly retired with a son still in college, as a single mom there are financial boundaries for my book buying, too. Here are five authors I love to buy...


TOLKIEN
 I have a few ebooks on my Kindle also, and I need to buy a boxed set of the LotR trilogy because the paperbacks I read back in the day I borrowed from a friend. My future plans are to have a full Tolkien library on my Kindle and to find as many used hardcovers as I can on Better World Books.


FRANK HERBERT - DUNE
I only collect the DUNE books. I also have books written by his son after his father died. I think I have 5 more books to complete what I want in hardcover. I also want all the ebooks.


TERRY PRATCHETT
 I cannot find my Stack 'o Pratchett photo, but I have started collecting the DISCWORLD books. Some of the story arcs of the forty-one book series I am buying in hardcover. Annimeke from A DANCE WITH BOOKS started me out with a gorgeous Gollancz hardcover for the City Watch arc, as you can see above, and I bought a hardcover of the last Tiffany Aching book, so I'll be buying that arc in hardcover, as well.

I want to have all of the books on my Kindle, so I have a separate Kindle wishlist for those just waiting for ebook specials. I'm also collecting the side books, maps, and atlases for my shelves...



HARPER LEE
Not only do I collect different editions of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, I also collect books about the book and the author!

To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time and this slip case edition has a place of honor on my bedroom dresser.


JKR - HARRY POTTER
As most of you know I not only collect the side books, illustrated editions, and pop-up books... but I've started to collect the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone special editions and foreign language translations!

So far I have The Latin and Welsh translations and the tenth anniversary cover. These all have gorgeous naked covers, which I'll be showing you in a special Harry Potter Stacking the Shelves sometime soon.

Do you collect any special books?



Every January first I let my guitar lessons/tabs/backing tracks guy, 331Erock, know my Meets Metal cover song wish for the year, and then I proceed to bug him beat him over the head with it until he records it, ha ha. I was so happy to see it this morning because I've been having some difficult things going on, and I wanted to share my happiness with you, if you are into Metal music that is, heh heh. It's still bookish! I love the movie, but I have not read The Neverending Story, yet, have you?



There are some stellar contests up on the Facebook giveaway page right now. Some are multiple book prizes. Most from major publishers!


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.