Tuesday, July 30, 2019

TELL ME TUESDAY #259 - Last. Now. Next.. TOP TEN - Favorite Books 2019

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-EIGHT
TOP TEN

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Michelle from IN LIBRIS VERITAS
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



★★
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
FANTASY?
SCIENCE FICTION?
HISTORICAL FICTION
ALTERNATE HISTORY
Published May 7th 2019 - Edelweiss
This book tanked in the last 40%! I was so disappointed. It was like a different writer took over because the first half was wonderful. The the otherworldly element, although a major pivoting point for the entire plot, was never defined nor clarified. Was it paranormal? Was is SciFi? No one will ever know.



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HIGH FANTASY
Published February 26th 2019 - Owned
Yes, I'm still reading this. Ha ha. I have a love/hate relationship with it. What I'm reading right now is pretty good so I'm being kind, but there have been many yawn worthy parts, too. My biggest problem is the main characters aren't that much more fleshed out that the secondary characters. My son is so far ahead in our buddy read that I don't even ask him where he is anymore.

ADULT
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION 1969
FAMILY - DOWN SYNDROME
Publishes August 9th - Edelweiss
I haven't started this yet, but I plan to later today.



This will be my first Dog Days of Summer Celebration read. I borrowed the audiobook from Hoopla.






FIVE YEARS AGO...
TELL ME TUESDAY NUMBER NINE was posted on July 29, 2014. I said I wasn't reading anything, but was looking forward to my author eARC of GATES OF THREAD AND STONE. I was going to be buddy reading it with my former TMT co-host from Please Feed the Bookworm for ARC August.





HOSTED BY
FREEBIE TOPIC
BEST BOOKS I'VE READ SO FAR THIS YEAR


There are two Elizabeth Acevedo books...
If you can, listen to the audiobooks narrated by the author! The second book isn't written in free verse like the first, but there is still a certain lyricism to the writing that flows with the author narration. I borrowed the audios from Hoopla.
GIANT DAYS is a series of graphic novels I have been borrowing from Hoopla. I have only included the first volume, but they have all been five star reads for me.
These two top notch issue related Contemporary Middle Grades have dogs in them! They are perfect if you are thinking about joining us for Dog Days of Summer.
If you like Dystopic SciFi you will love ON THE EDGE OF GONE. It also has a great representation of someone on the autism spectrum.
THE LIBRARY OF LOST AND FOUND was deliciously atmospheric, and it had a little mystery in it, too! It was issue related, but the messages were thoughtfully wrought and empowering.
ANOTHER BROOKLYN was my second Woodson book. After reading Brown Girl Dreaming, I knew I would be reading all of her stories. It is her first Adult Fiction novel. This is another excellent author audiobook narrator!
STELLA BY STARLIGHT is a must read for everyone! It's Middle Grade, so it's a quick read, but it still manages to pack a lot of African American history into its pages. If you like the Little House books, you will like reading this story, too.
I saved HAVE YOU SEEN LUIS VELEZ? for last because I feel it is an important book not only for the messages it imparts, but also for the way it was written. If you know readers who avoid diverse and/or issue related stories because they are afraid they are going to be clubbed over the head with social justice elements, or maybe you yourself have been putting off adding diverse titles to your TBR... this is the book you need! The author wove contemporary social issues into this heartwarming story so adeptly that some reviewers on Goodreads weren't even aware they had read a diverse book. As soon as the paperbacks start showing up on Book Outlet I'm going to buy some and stick them in the Little Free Libraries around town. It's available to borrow from Kindle Unlimited



There are some stellar contests up on the Facebook giveaway page right now. Some are multiple book prizes. Most from major publishers!


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.