Tuesday, April 14, 2020

TELL ME TUESDAY #294 - Last. Now. Next. -MY WEEKLY PULL - Comics. Manga. Graphic Novels. NEW TO THE E-QUEUE - WHAT'S BAZ READING?

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY-FOUR
MY WEEKLY PULL
WHAT'S BAZ READING

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!




★★★
(3.5)
I read the second Discworld Witches story arc book as a group read for Annemieke's TURTLE RECALL DISCWORLD READING CHALLENGE. It had too many boring bits in it and took too long to get going. This was a letdown after loving the first Witches book.

★★★★★
(4.5)
MIDDLE GRADE
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION
NEWBERY AWARD WINNER
Published 1938 - Library Ebook Borrow
This was my Newbery book for last month. If you like the Little House books I'm certain you will like this book!

YOUNG ADULT
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
FAMILY - FRIENDSHIP
NEWBERY AWARD WINNER
Published 1994 - Own Kindle
This was my Newbery book for this month and it was profoundly disappointing. The author doesn't appear to be Native American, but writes from a Native American viewpoint saying Native Americans prefer to be called "Indians" because it makes them sound more "earthy"; and there were some extremely off-base cultural elements. There was a budding romance which I felt was too physical for someone just turned thirteen. It normalized it which I don't think is appropriate. The MC's grandfather also encouraged her to drive on public roads, and when she got caught by the police there were no consequences. She also had thoughts of violently murdering people who made her angry, including friends, most of the time by lynching them and that was made to seem normal, too. I originally chose it because April is Diversity Month.

★★★★★
(4.5)
ADULT FICTION
THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY - ONE
FANTASY
Published 1954 - Own PB and Kindle
This was for my Year of Classics personal reading challenge. I also buddy read it with my son. My re-read of The Hobbit in 2018 didn't go so well, but I am happy to say I still loved Fellowship! However, Baz was bored. There wasn't enough action for him and he thought it was too easy of a read. He wants me to read The Two Towers first before he decides if he wants to read it. I will probably start it in May.


ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL - BIOGRAPHICAL
JAPANESE CULTURE
INTERNMENT CAMPS
Published 1956 - Hoopla Borrow
This fits my classics challenge and Diversity Month theme. It is the first Japanese American novel ever published.



Greg from BOOK HAVEN is hosting a read-along of this classic. The ebook is only 99¢! We will be starting the week of April 20th.





MANGA. COMICS. GRAPHIC NOVELS.

FREE EBOOK!

FREE EBOOK!



.

He's back to his Dresden Files books. This one is number ten.


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.