Tuesday, October 23, 2018

TELL ME TUESDAY #220 - Last. Now. Next.

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!



Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!




 ★★★★
(4.5)
I didn't love this as much as THE ESSEX SERPENT, but I realized it was because of the stories within the story, which made it read more like an anthology. I have to be in a specific mood for anthologies and that was no fault of the book's. It had all the same wonderful storytelling, setting and characterizations as the first book. You do not have to read The Essex Serpent to read this story. The only thing that connects them is one character is from Essex.


★★★
Melissa was the webmistress for the Harry Potter social site I was a member of, and I am participating in a ten year anniversary re-read with a Facebook group hosted by THE LEAKY CAULDRON. The group read is still going on, but when I started reading it on Sunday, I couldn't put it down and I accidentally finished it. Ha! I found the same problems with the book as I did last time. Way too much time was spent on the Wizard Wrock band, Harry and the Potters, and Wizard Wrock in general; and the chapters each had their own timeline, so when events crossed over in other chapters it was confusing. Making sure to re-date everything would have helped. It was like she expected you to remember all the dates of different events and meetings after only seeing it once. I don't know why her editor didn't have her write it like a memoir where everything followed a linear timeline. You can also tell she's a journalist and not a literary author. I got basic adjective fatigue reading her descriptions. Heh.


★★★★★
I finished the second BARTIMAEUS SERIES title on Saturday during DEWEY'S 24-HOUR READ-A-THON. It was the only reading I got done because I had both Munchkins on Saturday (which was not the plan, ha ha). Now that they are twelve and nearly ten they seem to argue about EVERYTHING, not just whose turn it is to use the disappearing Cheshire Cat mug.
I am participating in Annemieke's 15 YEARS OF BARTIMAEUS READ-ALONG on A DANCE WITH BOOKS. My post with the next set of discussion questions will be up on Thursday.
You can see her questions: HERE.




NONFICTION
HISTORY
In keeping with my demon theme for October!


YOUNG ADULT
ADULT FICTION
HORROR
HISTORICAL/1980s
This is shelved on Goodreads as YA, but the detailed descriptions of sex, genitalia, and mutilation makes me think it is not intended for that audience. I didn't have time to look on Edelweiss to see how the publisher has it listed. If you love the '80s and can handle a lot of gore, you'll like this book.


ADULT
CONTEMPORARY FANTASY/HORROR
Published October 9th 2018 - Netgalley
My next review ARC.


 YOUNG ADULT
FANTASY
ALTERNATE HISTORY
Continuing on with the Bartimeaus read-along.




This sounded curiously intriguing, so I thought I would share it. It's free right now on Tuesday, so check first if you are visiting on a different day.


What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.