Beautiful People is for writers. Every month, they post a list of 10 questions for you to answer about your characters. It’s designed to help you get to know your characters – their quirks, their personality, their flaws, and who they are.
It is hosted by Cait at PAPER FURY, and Skye at FURTHER UP AND FURTHER. You can find out all about joining up, HERE.
All of my BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE feature posts are based on characters from stories I wrote for my son while waiting for new Harry Potter books to be published. I will soon be serializing these stories on Wattpad as HIDDEN MAGIC: The Adventures of Saffron Browne.
SEPTEMBER - SPECIAL QUESTIONS
1. They’re in a crisis: who would they really like to see right now?
2. Are they easy to get along with?
3. Who was the last person they had a deep conversation with?
4. They’re in the middle of a huge crowd of people: how do they feel?
5. Do they believe in luck or miracles?
6. Do they like and get along with their neighbors?
7. If they could travel anywhere in the world, where would they go?
8. How do they feel about their body?
9. What is the cruelest thing someone has ever said to them? How did they react?
10. What’s the kindest thing someone has ever said to them? How did they react?
1. When Saffron is in a crisis she seeks her Grandfather because he is calm and wise. Most times this is difficult for her because his curiosities business takes him all over the world, and he is usually only home at Belfry Manor during the winter holidays and again for a month in the summer. She would prefer to be curled up in her grandfather's well-worn. brown leather chair in his study, telling him her darkest problems, but she usually ends up in the attic with Fig.
2. Saffron is extremely easy to get along with because she is good at reading moods. This is a skill she honed while trying to keep her mother peaceful around her little brother. She is also a go-with-the-flow type of person because of being on the road with her stepfather's Metal band as preschooler..
3. The last time she had a deep conversation it was in the attic with Fig. It had been about gender because Fig cannot remember if it used to be a woman or a man.
4. Our little rocker feels exhilarated in crowds.
5. Every young witch believes in luck because you can brew it!
6. The only neighbor to Belfry Manor on the dead end street is Mrs. Titus, and she is a sweet elderly lady. She bakes cookies, and brings over extra tomatoes and zucchini from her garden. They sometimes have to make up crazy stories to hide some of the magical things she accidentally sees because although she is sweet, she is also a bit nosy.
7. Saffron would like to be anywhere her Grandpapa is.
8. Hmm... I have never thought about this in the context of Saffron's character. I don't think at nine years old, and being kind of a tomboy, she thinks that much about it,
*And now that makes me think... is the term "tomboy' unacceptable now? It seems in the back of my cloudy brain that I read a Twitter conversation about that last year.
9. Her mother once called a six year old Saffron the "fun-sucking parasite." when introducing her to the band's new drummer's wife. Saffron's reaction was to internalize it and smile weakly.
10. The kindest thing anyone ever said to Saffron came from her best friend in the mundane world, Elodie. They had been joined at the hip from the first time they met at three years of age. Elodie is the bass player of Shredded Soul's daughter, and their birthdays are only a week apart. Infact, Elodie's mother figured out that because her daughter had suffered from slightly distressed breathing at first, and spent extra days in the hospital, they had been in the nursery together for a day.
One day when they were making mud pies, and Saffron's mother put a cigarette out in one as she passed by and stuck her tongue out at the girls, Elodie told Saffron not to worry if she ever thought she would be like her mother because she knew Saffron was an angel sent from heaven.
Do you do NANOWRIMO?