Tuesday, September 8, 2020

TELL ME TUESDAY #314 - Last. Now. Next.

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER THEE HUNDRED AND FOURTEEN
AUGUST READING UPDATE
NEW TO THE E-QUEUE

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!



I didn't post a TMT last week, so there are a lot of LAST books. I didn't want you to think I had turned into a super reader, ha ha!


★★★★★
MIDDLE GRADE/YOUNG ADULT
NEW KID SERIES BOOK #1
GRAPHIC NOVEL
RACE RELATIONS/BLACK CULTURE/RACISM
NEWBERY AWARD WINNER
Published February 5th 2019 - Hoopla Borrow
Everyone needs to read this book. Young and old! I was elated to see a sequel is coming out soon.

★★★
(3.5)
MIDDLE GRADE
STANDALONE
CLASSIC FICTION
Published 1878 - Own Kindle Library

YOUNG ADULT
HISTORICAL FICTION
NEWBERY AWARD WINNER
Published 1980 - Hoopla Borrow
This story was icky creepy. I am wondering if most of the Goodreads reviewers actually read this book. Only a couple of the reviews mentioned the strange and unsettling romantic feelings going on between the fourteen year old MC and a seventy year old man. It was presented as almost normal. And don't get me started about the MC's father calming his mother by kissing and nuzzling her neck, when she goes on a tirade about the MC's mother being a Jezebel who stole her son from her. I haven't rated, nor reviewed it yet.

★★★★★
MIDDLE GRADE
CONTEMPORARY
ISSUE RELATED
NEWBERY AWARD WINNER
Published - Hoopla Borrow
Why did I wait so long to read this story?! This should be the gold standard for Middle Grade.


ADULT LIT
COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES
HISTORICAL FICTION
Published 1919 - Own Physical and Ebook
I'm re-reading Winesburg, Ohio for my year of classics. I loved this book so much that I wrote my final American Lit paper on the hand imagery in it. I am always in fear of re-reading favorite books from years ago, but this one hasn't let me down...

“The story of Doctor Reefy and his courtship of the tall dark girl who became his wife and left her money to him is a very curious story. It is delicious, like the twisted little apples that grow in the orchards of Winesburg. In the fall one walks in the orchards and the ground is hard with frost underfoot. The apples have been taken from the trees by the pickers. They have been put in barrels and shipped to the cities where they will be eaten in apartments that are filled with books, magazines, furniture, and people. On the trees are only a few gnarled apples that the pickers have rejected. They look like the knuckles of Doctor Reefy's hands. One nibbles at them and they are delicious. Into a little round place at the side of the apple has been gathered all of its sweetness. One runs from tree to tree over the frosted ground picking the gnarled, twisted apples and filling his pockets with them. Only the few know the sweetness of the twisted apples.”

NONFICTION
ANTI-RACISM
Published April 2016 - Hoopla Borrow
I am also back to reading this title. It's like reading a college text book, but it is well worth it.



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
FANTASY
Publishes September 29th 2020 - Publisher Physical & NetGalley
I had to take a break from this book. It was destroying my reading mojo, but I plan to finish it before it publishes

ADULT FANTASY
DISCWORLD SERIES
HUMOR
Published - Own physical and Ebook
This is my TURTLE RECALL READING CHALLENGE book for this month. It's also the current group read book for the TRRC Witches story arc read-along. This is the last title in the Witches arc of the Discworld series.




HAPPY FRIDAY is by a POC self-pub author I know, and the book is on Kindle Unlimited. So, if you have Kindle Unlimited I hope you will give it a try!



BOOKS READ IN AUGUST
EIGHT

YEAR TO DATE TOTALS
TURTLE RECALL CHALLENGE 8/12
NEWBERY CHALLENGE 9/12
NONFICTION CHALLENGE 10/12
A YEAR OF CLASSICS CHALLENGE 24/36
RE-READS 5/12
NONFICTION ANTI-RACISM 2/6
MIDDLE GRADE  13
YOUNG ADULT  5
ADULT FICTION  32
NONFICTION  10
GRAPHIC NOVELS  6
AUDIOBOOKS  16
BORROWED  27


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.