Tuesday, July 9, 2019

TELL ME TUESDAY #256 - Last. Now. Next. - What's Baz Readung? - MY WEEKLY PULL: Comics. Manga. Graphic Novels.

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY-SIX
MY WEEKLY PULL
WHAT'S BAZ READING

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



MY GOODREADS REVIEW
NONFICTION - HARRY POTTER
MAGICAL HISTORY
COMPANION BOOK
Published June 27th 2019 - Kindle Unlimited borrow
This is highly problematic with the interpretation of the historical texts it is based on being far fetched, and it's also deceiving because it's not written by JKR, as buyers are lead to believe, there are excerpts from the Harry Potter series used in it, but that's all. After finishing I was happy the book wasn't written by JKR because I would have had to hate her. My Goodreads review explains why.



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HIGH FANTASY
Published February 26th 2019 - Owned
I won this hardcover and my son decided to read it, so I thought seeing I also had the ebook I bought when it was on sale for $1.99, that I would read it, too. A serendipitous buddy read if you will.

ADULT SCIENCE FICTION
STANDALONE
Published June 11th - Netgalley
The premise and themes of this book are excellent, but the writing is extremely plain, and in the first half there were too many redundant scenes. I confess I had stated to skim read chunks and until around 50% had no trouble still understanding what was going on. One thing that does bother me is this reoccurring theme of teaching children with autism how to be embarrassed and how to read subtle facial expression. I think this gives people the wrong idea about what autism is and how it manifests itself. The autistic MC kept talking about being embarrassed by her social blunders, like being blunt truthful; and talking about things she had done/said in the past before she learned how to be embarrassed. That puts too much pressure on autistic children and their parents. Teaching someone with autism to identify something as "embarrassing" so they won't offend people, is like trying to teach someone who is colorblind to identify colors they can't see so they can sort laundry. I keep hoping there is a resolution of some kind in the end, but I have already seen a review where the reader said how great the autism representation was, and how it gives hope to autistic people that they can learn to be "social", in the context of "socially acceptable" normal. *my eyes rolling like dice* Just let them be happy with themselves. They don't care if you think they are acceptable. 



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
FANTASY - HISTORICAL FICTION
Published May 7th 2019 - Edelweiss
I saved this ARC because July is my Summer in the City, books set in NYC, theme; however I seem to be reading everything but New York City titles. Ha! 




MANGA. COMICS. GRAPHIC NOVELS.
Drop by Lindsi's blog on Wednesdays! There's a linky.

MIDDLE GRADE
GRAPHIC NOVEL
SERIES NUMBER TWO
FANTASY
Publishes September 17th - NetGalley
I have wanted to read the Tea Dragon books and I thought this was a free standing companion story, so I requested it from NetGalley. It turned out to number two in the series, so I hope I will understand what's going on. It looks super cute!

NEW ADULT/GENERAL ADULT
GRAPHIC NOVEL
SERIES VOLUME SEVEN
UNIVERSITY SLICE OF LIFE
Published March 27th 2018 - Hoopla borrow
Of course I had to pick up my monthly Giant Days reading!



YOUNG ADULT
FANTASY QUINTET
My son finished reading the first three books of the Mirror World series. Although he read the original versions of books one and two, which were rewritten before book three was published, he didn't have any problems. Books four and five have yet to be published. He liked them better than Funke's Inkworld books; which he loved until his favorite character's arc didn't end in the best way, and he was livid about the whole thing. Ha ha. As you know he's now reading The Priory of the Orange Tree with me.



There are some stellar contests up on the Facebook giveaway page right now. Some are multiple book prizes. Most from major publishers!


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.