Tuesday, December 4, 2018

TELL ME TUESDAY #226 - Last. Now. Next. - November Reading Totals

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED ANDT TWENTY-SIX

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!



Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Michelle from IN LIBRIS VERITAS
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

*Kwante's blog is in Dutch, but there is a translation dropdown menu in the upper right hand corner, and the translation to English is very good, so go check it out!

This was a buddy re-read with Greg from BOOK HAVEN. Neither one of us had read it since our teens, so it was interesting what we remembered and didn't remember, and also in my case mis-remembered. Greg loved it, but I was bored most of the time; and those damnedable songs had me feeling crabby. Too. Many. Songs! I was listening to an audiobook, so had couldn't skim over them. Blergh. I remembered really liking it, but not quite loving it when I was sixteen, so I had given it four stars on Goodreads. I'm not going to re-rate it, but if I was going to it would be dropped to three stars. I am anxious to get to the LotR trilogy next year to see if that was the writing quality I was remembering. I am going to be doing a Reading Rewind review (Adventures of a Book Junkie style), soon, very soon.

NONFICTION.
FOOD HISTORY
FEMINISM
Published May 2017- NetGalley
★★★★★
This book could have been called bread wars. It is basically the US history of bread and baking, starting in the earliest colonial times. It was also a women's history account with a Feminist slant. The information was fascinating and it was written in a very engaging style. Somewhere between text book and literary. Did you know there was a type of Southern States bread that had to be kneaded for ten hours straight?! The plantation owners would serve it at parties to show that they worked their slaves hard. Unbelievable.


MIDDLE GRADE
WILLA SERIES #1
FANTASY
HISTORICAL FICTION.
ECO-FICTION
DIVERSE
Published July 10th - NetGalley
I'm not quite finished with this one, but I will be today. I feel better about my rating of this book after reading a few other negative Goodreads reviews. The biggest problem is, again, people are reading it and reviewing it as if it were YA and it's not, it's MG and being promoted by Disney Hyperion as Middle Grade. The cover makes you think it's about a POC character, but no, the MC changes color to fit her surroundings like a chameleon. If the cover were true to the magical rules of the story, she would be green. It is also pro-guns and too violent for MG, and it misappropriates Cherokee culture, and the inclusion of Native Americans wasn't even needed. It is also being promoted as Historical Fiction, but it is obvious the author, nor the content editor, did much, if any, research. It took me forever to finish because I kept setting it aside.




CITY OF BROKEN MAGIC - current ARC - Netgalley
PTOLEMY'S GATE - Bartimaeus Readalong - A DANCE WITH BOOKS
*Yes, I know that's the French paperback edition, but it's very very nice!



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
MYSTERY
Published December 4th -Netgalley
Some Goodreads shelves are saying it's Fantasy/Magical Realism, but judging from her other book, The Thirteenth Tale (which I loved, by the way), that's  most likely not the case.



NOVEMBER BOOKS = 9
CURRENT ARCS = 4
BACKLIST ARCS = 1
HOOPLA = 2
37/50
TEAM

How many books did you read in November?
What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.