Thursday, June 22, 2023

PAGE TURNINGS #5 - Summer Reading

PAGE TURNINGS
FIVE
SUMMER READING
I HAVE QUESTIONS

Hello, beautiful Book Dragons and lovely Library Lions! Let's chat about my favorite subject, books!





DO YOU DO SUMMER READING?

Yesterday was the Estival Solstice which is considered the first day of summer. Every year in June I see a smorgasbord of summer reading lists and suggestions on social media. Beach reads seem to be a popular topic, but if I read anything at the beach it's a magazine or two. I love to people watch. Ha ha. It's the same with vacations; I want to see things not read. Plus, I hate reading outside. Heh.
I'm not a seasonal reader. Yes, I have two summer reading themes on the blog: July Summer in the City, and my August Dog Days of Summer, but they don't have to be summery reads. Summer in the City is books set in New York City, and the Dog Days of Summer books have dogs in the stories or on the cover.


LITERARY HUB'S 50 OF THE GREATEST SUMMER NOVELS OF ALL TIME
I'm Facebook friends with my old guitar teacher's wife whose book club has a combined review blog. She posts a lot of bookish things on her FB account and this was one I found intriguing. I have read a few of these titles and many of them are on my Goodreads TBR. There are others I know of, but are definitely not my cup of tea (Thrillers/Romance) and some I had never heard of before that I'm going to look into.


GOODREADS
Are the Lord of the Rings books considered summer reading? I know a lot of people like to marathon the movies in summer. I read The Hobbit for the first time the summer before my senior year in high school, so I personally associate that book with summer. You can see my re-read Rewind Review: HERE. I did a buddy re-read with Greg from Book Haven. These 1970's mass market paperbacks with J.R.R. Tolkien's artwork have a summery look.

This is the exact cover art of the paperback I borrowed from a friend that summer.



I am going to join Karen's summer reading challenge. I like that it's not summer themed.



I HAVE QUESTIONS


Hmm... after the solstice, which marks the first day of summer, the days start getting shorter. Where were the editors? This was posted on our Four County Library System's Facebook page. I haven't read this book yet, so I don't know why the author didn't have electric light to read by. It's partially set in New York City, so I'm going to read it next month for my Summer in the City theme. I see that it was made into a movie. Has anyone seen the movie, or read the book?


Do you do any seasonal reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.