Tuesday, November 23, 2021

TELL ME TUESDAY #367 - Last. Now. Next - Tidbits #BookGivaways


LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN
NEW TO THE E-QUEUE
TIDBITS

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!




 
(0)
MOVIE SCREENPLAY
FANTASY
WIZARDING WORLD
Published November 2016 - Kindle Unlimited Borrow
There wasn't as much Native American content as I had expected, I guess most of it was in the history of the Ilvermorny American wizarding school, given on Pottermore (now Wizarding World). However, it contained a Thunderbird as a major plot point element, hence the one star rating. The Thunderbird is a spiritual (religious) embodiment for the Sioux. It's the equivalent of using the Hindu goddess Ganesha as a fantasy beast; that most certainly would have caused an uproar. I read this in preparation for writing my blog post on why I chose to boycott this first Fantastic Beasts movie for its colonialist viewpoints, and its misappropriation of Native American culture and spiritual/religious beliefs. November is National Native American Heritage Month.

GOODREADS
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
SCIENCE FICTION
THRILLER
NOVELLA
Published October 5th 2021 - Kindle Unlimited Borrow
I saw a review for this book on my blogging buddy Liis's Cover to Cover blog, and when I went to add it to Goodreads I saw that it was available on Kindle Unlimited, so I decided to squeeze it in for Sci-Fi Month. It's a quick read at 124 pages. It was enjoyable. Review to come. This story would make a great video game.

★★
ADULT FICTION
SERIES #4
SCIENCE FICTION
ROBOTS
NOVELLA
Published October 2018 - Own Ebook
My least "liked" of the series so far. It was B-O-R-I-N-G.

★★★★★
NEW ADULT - ADULT FICTION
SERIES VOLUME #10
REALISTIC CONTEMPORARY
SLICE OF LIFE
COLLEGE LIFE
Published June 2019 - Hoopla Borrow
As always, this series has my heart.



ADULT FICTION
SERIES #5
SCIENCE FICTION
ARTIFICIAL INTELLEGENCE
Published May 2020 - Own Ebook
I am loving this one, is it because it's the first full length novel and the story can be a bit more complex and character driven? I think so!



ADULT FICTION
SERIES #3
SCIENCE FICTION
OTHER WORLDS
Published 1976 - Own Ebook and Hardcover
I was planning on starting this earlier, but that was when I thought Network Effect was another novella. I should still finish before the end of Sci-Fi Month, though. I started re-reading the Dune books three years ago, one every November for Sci-Fi Month. This will be my third time reading it.













ADULT FICTION
SERIES #1
THE WICKED YEARS SPIN-OFF SERIES
FANTASY
Published October 12th 2021- NetGalley
Well, not really an ARC... but a review book regardless. I'm still thrilled to get it because It was at the top of my most anticipated list, and now I won't have to buy the ebook. I hope he was able to go back to his darker characterizations and storylines, with big vocabulary because Son of a Witch was my favorite of the original series, by miles. It really made me angry that Wicked fans en masse were able to shame Maguire about Son of a Witch, to the point where he drastically toned down A Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz. They deprived the rest of us of the writing we loved. One of the things I hate about social media. There is even an apology in interview format, in the back of all the newer editions of SoaW, for the direction he took with it. My fingers are crossed for deep, dark Fantasy again.

Look at that gorgeous naked cover! I cannot wait to purchase a hard cover to join the other Maguire Oz retellings on my shelves.









NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE DAY
I have been saddened by the number of children's publishers and book promoters (yes even book bloggers) who have been pushing the Pilgrim story these last couple of weeks. Even my public library posted an image with a Pilgrim hat in it to promote a children's Thanksgiving craft event. I thought librarians were supposed to be woke. They stopped the Pilgrim association with Thanksgiving when my son was in second grade at his school; that was in 1999 and it was in a rural school district! They started having a harvest party instead, and reading about Native Americans. In fact, when Lincoln proclaimed it a holiday it didn't have any link to the Pilgrims at all. You can read the real history of Thanksgiving: HERE.


RESOURCES AND KID LIT ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS

DEBBIE, CAN YOU RECOMMEND BOOKS ABOUT THANKSGIVING?
DEBBIE REESE

READ A BOOK ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS
with young family members on Thanksgiving and on Native American Heritage Day.




There are three book bundle giveaways up on the page!


HAPPY THANKSGIVING
What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.