Tuesday, May 5, 2020

TELL ME TUESDAY #287 - Last. Now. Next.

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY-SEVEN

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!




★★★★★
(4.5)
NONFICTION
FOOD - HEALTH SCIENCE
Published April 14th 2020 - Netgalley
This was my Nonfiction for April. It was fantastic!

GRAPHIC NOVEL
JAPANESE CULTURE
INTERNMENT CAMPS
Published July 2019 - Hoopla Borrow
I haven't rated this book because I had some problems with the representations in the story. I am happy I read No-No Boy before I read this book because otherwise I wouldn't have seen the misrepresentations in this one. Not to say there wasn't any enlightenment in this graphic novel because there was. History isn't always black or white. There are many times grey areas. One example I will share was one the Japanese American author of No-No Boy pointed out; that most Japanese immigrants and many first generation Japanese Americans felt superior to other Asian immigrants, such as the Chinese. This "privilege" was shown in Takei's story when his parents were appalled they had to live in connected housing in the camps, and they could hear noise from the neighbors, and they were insulted that they were given Spam and organ meats to eat. They considered these less than acceptable conditions. They were obviously unaware this was normal life for many Americans. I'm not saying the internment camps were right, because they most definitely weren't, but there are conflicting views of how the camps were from within the Japanese population themselves.

GRAPHIC NOVEL
MEMOIR
VIETNAMESE CULTURE
IMMIGRATION
Published 2017 - Hoopla Borrow
Another non-rating at this point. I loved this story, but there was a lot of abuse that was excused because of an adult's childhood experiences and Vietnamese culture. At this point I'm not sure how much of it should be excused by the author.


ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION
ROMANCE
Published 1774 - Hoopla Borrow
I thought this MC was most likely dealing with a Bipolar Disorder, but his highs and lows are not cyclical; they are all connected to his obsession with a woman. He is such an arrogant rich bastard that I cannot empathize with his "sorrows". I think he has a big helping of narcissism going on, too.



ADULT FICTION
HISTORICAL
STANDALONE
Published 1962 - Hoopla Borrow
Both a classic and and a Mental Health Month read!


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.