Sunday, April 30, 2017

THE SUNDAY POST #110

THE SUNDAY POST
NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND TEN
THE SUNDAY POST is a weekly wrap-up feature hosted by Kimba at the CAFFEINATED BOOK REVIEWER.



LAST. NOW. NEXT.
TOP TEN TUESDAY
I have started adding the TTT answers to the end of my TMT, and next week also a Teaser Tuesday for my current ARC. I am jumping on the multiple meme train, but only if they compliment each other and never more than three in one post.

DO YOU RE-READ BOOKS?

PINTEREST ADVENTURES
Drop by and see the results of my Easter Chick-Off with Jolene from Jo's Book Blog.

I participated in my first Dewey's (I am finally spelling it right) 24 Hour Read-A-Thon. I started reading a little after the start time of 8:00 am Saturday, and read until 7:10 am on Sunday. I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I don't think that martini I decided to drink at 3:30 am helped. Ha ha. I even listened to an audiobook while I was at the library's used book sale. I finished listening to The Amber Spyglass, I read a Children's book and Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and finished Ramona Blue. In total I think I read about three books worth. I still have to figure out how many pages. I was so tired today that I kept pressing the power button on the camera instead of the shutter release and turning it off. I also made coffee and didn't turn the appliance strip on.
I did, however, eat too much junk food. I ate two packages of these cookies, four frozen personal size pizzas, and drank an 8oz Pepsi. In October I will make sure I have healthier snacks on hand. I wasn't completely naughty because I did eat two oranges and drink water, and the pizzas were veggie. *laughs*
▪ ▪ ▪
If you usually DM me on Twitter, I cannot answer your messages anymore because my new Kindle, Gary Fartblossom, isn't having any of it. Please PM me on Facebook instead. Thanks!

I went to our library's used book sale on Saturday.
My sister and I got there at 1:30 pm and the books were pretty well picked over. We have always gone in the morning, but we wanted to try the bag sale they have from 2:15 to 3:00. I guess if you like Grisham, Clancy, Steele, and J. Collins that works out because there were tons of hardcovers from those authors, but there was nothing I wanted past the two books I purchased (which you will see below). I was going to look for Pratchett paperbacks, but the PBs all looked pretty beat up, so I didn't bother searching.
▪ ▪ ▪
I decided as long as I was there I would look to see if they had the audiobook of A Lion Among Men, and the third season of Game Of Thrones on DVD, which they did. I have been using my son's library card since 2005 because when his father left he never returned the books of mine that were in the backseat of his car and I have an $80.00 plus replacement charge on my card. They no longer let you use other people's cards, so I had to leave them. I guess I will have to pay it now. Ugh. The universe is conspiring against me saving enough money to buy a 10.1 inch Kindle Fire HD.

BOUGHT EBOOKS
I read this from the library sometime around 2001-5. All I can remember is that I read it at our old apartment and I really enjoyed it. If I remember correctly it has quite a few personal photos in it. It was written by her son. I was talking about it with Elizabeth from SO LONG... & Thanks For All The Fish a couple of years ago, but I cannot remember what I was telling her about it. It was $1.99, but it isn't anymore.

Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG has been crowing about this book since she read it, so I had to get it as it was on sale. Pssst... it still is.

NETGALLEY
Heather from RANDOM REDHEADED RAMBLINGS reviewed this SciFi, HERE, and it made me run to Netgalley to request it. I am happy I was approved. 

I saw this highlighted in the Netgalley newsletter: SciFi/Fantasy/Dystopian mash up with LGBTQ elements, pivoting around the power of language. Well, hello, give it to me... and they did. *big smile* A lot of people were hating on it on Goodreads for being too weird, so I am almost guaranteed to like it. Ha ha.

WON GOODREADS
MIDDLE GRADE
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
DIVERSE

ADULT
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
DIVERSE
CULTURAL
RACE

BOUGHT LIBRARY BOOK SALE
The SPIDERWICK TROLL TROUBLE is a small paperback short story. It was in a cellophane wrapper, but it made the book impossible to photograph, and I want to read it anyway, so I took it off. This probably destroyed its collectability. Ha ha. It was 25¢.
▪ ▪ ▪
I read JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL in the early 70s it was one of my high school group of friends' pass around paperbacks. The book made a big impression on me back then, and I was happy to find a hardcover first edition with an intact jacket for $1.00. Then I opened it up and saw this...
"Happy Anniversary Love, Sean - December 12, 1972"
My immediate thought was how did this book come to be given away? I would love to have a book with an inscription like this from a relative. Even if it was my mother and father who were divorced. It would be a reminder that they did love each other at one point. I don't normally buy personalized books, but I knew I had to give this one a home. I was surprised to see how many Goodreads reviewers didn't get this story. It isn't about "special snowflakes" and the religious interpretation is only one layer of this book. I re-read it in the wee hours of Sunday morning, during the read-a-thon, and I realized even more meanings than before.

TELL ME TUESDAY
LAST. NOW. NEXT.
TOP TEN
TEASER

DEWEY'S 24 HOUR READ-A-THON
WRAP-UP

BOOK BLOGGER HOP
Do You Rearrange Your Books?

THE SUNDAY POST
Have an marvelous new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.