Thursday, August 18, 2016

THURSDAY TAG - The Book Sacrifice Tag

THE BOOK SACRIFICE TAG
Annemieke from A DANCE WITH BOOKS tagged me! You can see her post: HERE.


AN OVERLY-HYPED BOOK
Situation: You’re in a store when the zombie apocalypse hits. The military informs everyone that overly-hyped books are the zombies only weakness. What book everyone else says is amazing, but you disliked, do you start chucking at the zombies?
A lot of people are going to want to feed me to the zombies after I show you this...
Everyone was raving about this book, so I requested it from Netgalley and was thrilled to get approved, but disappointed to see it wasn't directly downloadable to Kindle. Everyone kept raving, so I even went through all the trouble to download it to my laptop and then try to load it from there, but no dice.  I realized it was because of the special page layouts and treatments, but seeing that I refuse to read on my laptop because I sit in front of one all day for work, I decided to wait for it to publish. I mean, hey, if this book was that good, I was certainly going to want it in hardcover for my shelves. I bought a full price hardcover the week after it pubbed and started to read.
▫▫▫
I got about 80 pages in and said, ugh, does this get better because right now it is reading like a bad screenplay. I was told by a million billion readers to keep going, it gets good on page 249. I kept thinking why is everyone telling me a really odd specific number? I admit some people did say 250, but that is still pretty specific.
▫▫▫
My thoughts about that? I am not going to read what is, for all intents and purposes, an entire average sized book to get to the "good part", so look out zombies it is winging your way! Bonk. Squish.


A SEQUEL
Situation: Torrential downpour. What sequel are you willing to use as an umbrella?
I loved the first book, QUEEN OF THE TEARLING, and it was my top book of 2014, despite wanting to hate it because of all the publishing shenanigans surrounding it. What happened with this sequel? The first book was a wonderful High Fantasy, but she decided to tell the backstory in this book with a dystopian tale that was sprinkled throughout the High Fantasy storyline. If you counted the pages I would say the percentages were close to 50/50. Now, I like Dystopia, but this one was strange and in my opinion sometimes read like pulp fiction. It ruined the fantasy parts for me, so as soon as it stops raining and the sun comes out, I will be throwing this soggy mess into the nearest trash can. Fwoomp.


CLASSIC
Situation: You are in English class and the professor raves about a classic that "transends time". What book would you want to go back in time and prevent from being published.
This was going to be a toss up with Moby Dick, but seeing I never finished Moby Dick, and used Cliff Notes to study for my test, I decided to go with TOMatS because I had to suffer through it twice in college. Once during my first degree study, and again for a degree I never finished. Thank goodness it is a fairly short book. It's weird because I like other Hemingway. I did love the classic, The Time Machine, though! Too bad Hermione's time turner won't go back that far in time.


LEAST FAVORITE BOOK
Situation: Climate Change = a sudden frozen wasteland. What book would you burn to keep warm?
Too funny... this book used to have a great cover. That is what made me go to Goodreads to look at the summary. Ha ha. There are two different covers now, but the original is no where to be seen. This book was just pinch your nose and breath through your mouth STINKY! What makes it worse is I paid full price for the ebook! I think it was $6.49. I also, at that time, didn't know you could return Amazon ebooks if you have had them less than seven days, so I was robbed of my hard earned cash. The story was so bad I cannot describe it in short, but you can read my GR rant: HERE. We can build a good sized warm fire because it is a trilogy now. Maybe even a bonfire because I am sure a lot of readers want to burn their copies! 
I TAG YOU!
If you do the tag let me know here in the comments, or on Twitter, and I will visit and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.