Sunday, July 12, 2020

2020 READING CHALLENGES: Mid-Year Updates

2020 MID-YEAR UPDATES


Hello, lovely Library Lions and beautiful Book Dragons! Can you believe 2020 is halfway over? Despite all the disruption this year the months seem to be ticking by at a fairly quick pace. At least for me, ha ha.



 44 BOOKS
I think this is the third year I have set my Goodreads challenge goal to one book. I only use it as a counter. I got tired of all those "you are behind" reminders. Ha! I much prefer being ahead 4400%! It's all about the page count, anyway.



This is Annemieke's DISCWORLD CHALLENGE on A Dance With Books. My goals are:

1. Read one Discworld series book a month.
2. Re-read book one...The Color of Magic, finish off the rest of the Rincewind story arc, and watch The Color of Magic mini-series.
3. Read The Hogfather around Christmastime and watch the movie.
4. Read at least one Nonfiction book about the series, or Terry Pratchett.
5. Read at least one series companion book.

I am striving for level 3, the LANCRE LEVEL, which is 11-15 books.

DISCWORLD BOOKS  6/12
I re-read The Color of Magic and read the companion book The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents.
I AM DOING WELL!





MONTHLY NEWBERY CHALLENGE
Every year since I put up my NEWBERY AWARD READING CHALLENGE page, I have vowed I was going to read one Newbery book a month and that has never happened.
NEWBERY WINNERS 5/12
I missed May, but I will catch up!

MONTHLY NONFICTION CHALLENGE 10/12
I'm rocking this one!

MONTHLY MIDDLE GRADE CHALLENGE 9/12
I'm doing really well with this one, but four of those are from January alone, so let's see if I can keep on track.

MONTHLY NONFICTION ANTI-RACISM READS 1/6
I have added this challenge for BLACK LIVES MATTER. These will be books specifically about racism. I also read a Nonfiction book about life in Jamaica for the Carib-A-Thon in June, but it was not specifically about racism, so I'm not going to count it.




Except for my Newbery, Nonfiction, and Discworld Challenge books, I will be reading all pre-1970 classics, and lesser known works by classic authors, this year! Here are my goals...

⚫ READ WAR AND PEACE & ULYSSES 
I am in the process of listening to War and Peace, but it's very slow going because the narrator's accents are difficult to understand, so I can't listen on 3X speed and my mind starts to wander. I am sure I won't get to Ulysses.

⚫ MONTHLY CLASSIC RE-READ ⚫
DRAGONFLIGHT
TO SIR WITH LOVE
TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD
LITTLE WOMEN
JANE EYRE
WINESBURG, OHIO
DUNE MESSIAH

THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY
FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
(I'm reading The Two Towers off and on, now)

BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS
(my yearly Vonnegut buddy read with my son)

DICKENS
I am going to let you pick which one I re-read, probably with a poll on Twitter in the fall, and I'll read it in December.

⚫ CLASSICS I AM ASHAMED I'VE NEVER READ ⚫
FRANKENSTEIN
REBECCA
ANNA KARENINA
THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD
MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA
THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN
(I'm reading this right now)

THE INTIMIDABLE JEEVES
THE BELL JAR
IN COLD BLOOD
ON THE ROAD
PETER PAN
MARY POPPINS


OFF LIST PRE-1970s BOOKS BY CLASSIC AUTHORS
PAID SERVENT by E.R. Braithwaite
HITTING A STRAIGHT LICK WITH A CROOKED STICK by Zora Neale Hurston
THE SORROWS OF YOUNG WERTHER - by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
LOST HORIZON by James Hilton
NO-NO BOY by John Okada
MORE DEADLY THAN THE MALE an Anthology of Classic Women Authors



How are your reading challenges coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.