Tuesday, May 2, 2017

TELL ME TUESDAY #144 + TTT

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
TOP TEN TUESDAY
NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-THREE

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!

▪ ▪ ▪
Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!


⭐⭐⭐
I was so disappointed in this book after loving Simon Vs. The characters were almost cliche as American teens. Although my toes were curling most of the time, I still ended up giving it three stars because of its diverse content. I am glad I read another diverse Contemporary YA right after this one because the strong realistic characters in that story solidified my rating for this book.

⭐⭐⭐⭐
After I have a chance to think about this book I might lower the Goodreads rating to three stars. I enjoyed it (not as much as the others, though), but I am struggling with it being YA and being so freakishly dark and philosophically dense.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I bought a first edition hardcover of this book at my library's used book sale on Saturday, and re-read it in the wee hours of Sunday morning while participating in Dewey's 24 hour Read-A-Thon. I read it for the first time in the mid 1970s.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book received a lot of one star ratings, before the ARC was available to read, for certain elements in the story. First of all, the story doesn't put forth what the angry mob thought it did. Teenagers are in constant flux in their lives, so to expect every high school senior to be 100% sure about their sexuality is ridiculous. Plus, Blue's romantic situations are a subplot. This isn't a book about sexuality. The story is mainly about choosing to just survive and exist because of your background, environment, and responsibilities. The story isn't about being straight (half of the characters in the book aren't), nor is it about being a lesbian. The romance element is about being free of labels and being able to fall in love with anyone you choose. Diverse groups need to support each other. Lesbians saying that bisexuality is a fallacy is just as bad as straight people saying being gay is a choice, and you can be straight if you really want to. This is exactly why I still read books that have been flagged as problematic to form my own opinion. It is the third time I have read a story that turned out not to be conveying the "message" it has been called out for.


ADULT LIT
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION
(yes, to my dismay the 70s are now considered historical)
AUDIOBOOK
This is my current review book from Audiobook Boom. I guess I am reliving my hippie days after re-reading Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I also have an ebook about hippies in the 60s I found for free. I should read that after I finish this one. Ha ha.

MIDDLE GRADE
SERIES BOOK TWO
MAGICAL REALISM
This was an eARC, it published April 4th. I really enjoyed the first book.
*TEASER*
"The Bird Lady spoke, and Darya went home and followed her every instruction. When Aunt Elena asked why she needed the glue, and what she was doing with that shoe, Darya lied and said she was doing an art project."


I have no idea!


This week is a COVER FREEBIE, so of course I chose to do ten different versions of my all time favorite book.

GOODREADS
This is the cover of the paperback I own. My school was getting new copies the following year, so we were able to keep ours. How lucky was that for me?
I found over 30 different covers. I wouldn't mind collecting a few, although I do not care for the covers with guns and nooses on them, which by the way are newer covers, not classic ones.

What are you reading? Tell me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.