Saturday, January 7, 2023

THE SATURDAY SOUP ONE

THE SATURDAY SOUP
ONE
A SPOONFUL OF MY LIFE
THE 2022 HOLIDAY SEASON
AND A SOUP RECIPE

Welcome to The Saturday Soup! This will be a floating feature. I hope to post once a month, but if I can't find the time there's no pressure. Ha ha! I will be telling stories of life and also giving you a soup recipe each time.




KEEPING IT BOOKISH

We have been gifting a book and cookies to close family members on Christmas Eve for the past twenty-five years. I started the tradition when my son was five years old. This was what I received from my son. He gave me stroopwafle the year before, and I loved it so much I requested it again. I guess that's a new tradition started! For Christmas he gave me a Black and Decker hand mixer with dough hooks and a whisk attachment. He knows me well because the mixer is black and looks like a power tool. He also purchased a memory foam mattress topper for me.

I gifted Baz a boxed set of the first three Dune books with the new covers. I started buying the white fudge dipped Oreos for Christmas Eve a few years ago, but in 2020 they didn't have them in any of the local stores, so I started looking online and after missing two restocks on Target's website I finally nabbed the white fudge holiday collector's tin. It was $18.00! In 2021 there was another local shortage and I refused to pay $12.00 for the regular white fudge Oreos online so I hand-dipped Oreos in white chocolate. Baz liked them better than the fudge dipped, so I did them again in 2022. I'm glad I have the tin to put them in!

Please excuse the horrible low-light photo it looked much more appetizing in person... I promise. Ha. We usually have lasagna for Christmas dinner, but Baz wanted baked ziti like his grandmother used to make. Because the ziti is much less time consuming I decided to make focaccia to go with it. It was my first time making a yeast bread, but it turned out wonderfully! It is so ridiculously easy I've made it twice more since then. Instead of the herbs mentioned in the recipe I used some of the Sicilian bread dipping seasoning from Salem Spice, I had put in Baz's stocking, in the pour-over olive oil. I also used two tablespoons of olive oil instead of a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of water. I heated the seasoned olive oil in the microwave during the first dough proofing and let it sit until needed. I only used one dry active yeast packet instead of one packet and a 1/4 teaspoon. Opening up a second packet for such a tiny extra amount seemed silly.
 
I made a Lemon Prosperity Pig for the New Year. Heh heh.




I saw this going around on Twitter and I thought it would be funny to list the earliest games I played, but only one person replied. They played Dark Cloud. I thought maybe some of you might have played some of these. Let me know in the comments!








This sounds delectable and it's nutritious! A wonderfu soup to start off a healthful new year.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!


What was the first home video game you played?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.