Monday, December 5, 2022

THE MAGIC OF YULE 2022 SPECIAL EDITION - Witchery Cookery #VictorianMansions #TheYuleCat #WitcheryCookery

 

THE MAGIC OF YULE SPECIAL HOLLY DAYS EDITION
2022

Greetings, my witchy wonderful magical mavens! This is a monthly sister blog feature for my popular Facebook page TOADSTONE & BUMBERSHOOT'S WITCHERY COOKERY and MAGICAL LIVING. My followers asked for it, and so it was granted! Jump on your broomstick and fly on over to Facebook and join in on all the fun we have; especially during the fall and winter holidays!






I am always encouraging everyone to seek out the magical places which are just around the corner from where you live! Don't wait to embrace and celebrate the inner witch and wizard in your life, only during Wizarding World trips and fantasy conventions.

FATHER CHRISTMAS AT THE PHELPS MANSION MUSEUM
To me, Father Christmas has a more wizarding world feel than Santa, I must admit. My city's Victorian mansion museum is also a fabulous place for witchy wonderful photo shoots all year long.






This sweet, and festive-looking, break apart and share bread is ideal for Christmas morning! We celebrate the twelve days of Yuletide at my house, from the Solstice through New Year's Day, and I like to have something special to eat for each day.
Our tradition for Christmas morning is cinnamon rolls, however... I have never baked anything specifically for Solstice morning before because of having an annual Yule dinner that evening to kickstart the season, but after seeing this cranberry and almond breakfast bread pictured below (I would use pecans), I might just make it for breakfast. Especially seeing the the Solstice falls on a Wednesday this year and it's my son's usual day off.


YULE AND SOLSTICE DINNER PINTEREST BOARD
This will be the third year I haven't been able to have guests at my Yule (Solstice) dinner because of the plague. I usually make a hearty vegan soup with ingredients nineteenth century common folk would have in their winter storage, like root vegetables, and dried beans and mushrooms. I serve it with crusty loaves of bread and some sort of apple and nut cake; also ingredients that would be found in winter stores. I also have a tray of spiced cookies ready to nibble on while we decorate the tree. However, this year Baz and I are going to have salmon. He's going to make his cloud biscuits, and I'm going to make an apple pie and a pumpkin pie instead of cake.




We put our tree up the weekend that's closest to a week from December first, but we only put the lights and star topper on it. My Yule dinner on the solstice is also a tree decorating party and most years it's also been an informal cookie swap. We nibble cookies and drink our favorite hot beverages while decorating. Conversation usually ends up featuring fond memories and funny stories from my guests' holidays past. If the Solstice is during a weekend a lively card game with drinks usually tops off the evening.


This giant Icelandic feline roams the countryside on Christmas Day eating people who are not wearing new clothes. Heh heh.










I like to give a small gift to my Yule dinner guests. Baz and I also exchange small gifts on the Solstice. The gifts are usually handmade, either by me or from an online crafter; Etsy is great for this. One year I did hand paint acorns myself. I'd love to go to the horse chestnut tree in my childhood neighborhood next September and gather chestnuts to paint. Other traditional Solstice gifts are spiced nuts, spice cookies, and candles










Stay magical, my friends!
What is your favorite holiday tradition?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.