Sunday, July 24, 2022

TOADSTONE AND BUMBERSHOOT'S WITCHERY COOKERY AND MAGICAL LIVING - Special Game Night Edition #WitchyGames #WitchySnacks #WitchyLiving

A TOADSTONE & BUMBERSHOOT SPECIAL EDITION
A WITCHY WONDERFUL GAME NIGHT
GAMES • FOOD • BEVERAGES • WITCH HATS

Greetings, my magical mavens! This is a sister blog feature for my popular Facebook page TOADSTONE & BUMBERSHOOT'S WITCHERY COOKERY and MAGICAL LIVING. My followers asked for it, and so it was granted! Jump on your broomstick and fly on over to Facebook and join in on all the fun we have; especially during the fall and winter holidays!




WITCHY GAMES • TASTY TIDBITS • BEWITCHING BEVERAGES • WITCH HATS


Ages 14+ • 2-5 players • 15-30 minutes.
A potions brewing game. You can purchase it here if you don't want to shop on Amazon.

TABLETOPPING.GAMES REVIEW

GAME PLAY AND REVIEW VIDEO


Ages 10+ • 2-5 players • 45 minutes.
This is another potions brewing game. There are two expansion packs (The Herb Witches and The Alchemists); however, you can also buy the MegaBox which includes both expansion packs. Here is a non-Amazon retailer.

HOW TO PLAY THE QUACKS OF QUEDLINBURG VIDEO


Ages 8+ • 2-6 players • 25 minutes.
How about a classic game of Rook? This card game has been around since 1906! I like the previous box better. It's the edition we have...

I might do a blog post on the history of Rook and its many vintage boxes. I love the different art work. Would anyone be interested in seeing one?


Ages 9+ • 3-5 players • 30-60 minutes.
So many potion brewing games! Ha ha. This is a card game. There is a newer redesign of this game as a board game, which I'll show you later in this post. There is also a comparison video I have linked with it. I think it might be out of production, but it looks like used games are easy to find on Ebay and Etsy. I'm also thinking about doing a separate blog post about vintage witch games. What do you think?

GAME PLAY AND REVIEW VIDEO


Ages 6+ • 2-4 players • 20 minutes.
This is a cooperative game. There are no winners or losers. I guess everyone is a winner through mutual support! Here's one place you can find it.


GAME PLAY VIDEO


Ages 10+ • 2-5 players • 30-75 minutes.
Yes... potions, but this time it's all about delivering those potions! This is supposed to be a "re-implementation" of the Witches Brew card game as a board game, which I showed you above; however, on Reddit some players feel it is substantially different. It has won a lot of awards. Here is a comparison video of the two...


Ages 8+ • 2-6 players • 15-30 minutes.
There is also a card game version which, if I'm interpreting the the overview correctly, can also be used as an expansion pack for the board game. I'm a tad confused, heh. There's also a Christmas expansion pack. I always try not to buy from Amazon, so here's a link to a game seller.


DEUL OF WANDS
Ages 10+ • 2 players • 30-45 minutes.
I learned something new... there is a Kids on Brooms RPG (think Dungeons & Dragons) where you play as students in a witches and wizards school. Wow, does tnat sound familiar, ha ha. This card game can be played on it's own, or as part of the Kids on Brooms RPG. I think I'll research this game and do a separate blog post about it! Here is a link to a non-Amazon online retailer.


This card game has a cult following of adults who played it as kids. Did any of you play it way back when? Many people seem to be under the impression they don't make this game any longer, and you have to buy it on Ebay. However, there seems to be a new edition...

Ages 6+ • 2-4 players • 20 minutes.

GAME OVERVIEW VIDEO


Ages 5+ • 2-4 players.
Let's look at something for the wee witches and wizards. I bought this for future babysitting. You never know when or if they are going to stop making something. Better safe than sorry! I bought this because I absolutely loathe the game of Chutes and Ladders and I'm hoping dragons will make playing more pleasant, ha ha. The game is recommended for five years and up, but I think three and four year olds will understand it enough to play with an adult teammate.



SUMPTUOUS SIPS AND SNACKS

WIZARD HATS
Mundanes and muggles call these Bugles, but we magical folk know they were invented by a wizard.

I make a party mix I call wizard hats and wands with Bugles and pretzel sticks. I also make a homemade version of non-alcoholic cherry-lime ricky and put it in these bottles with a lime slice. I like the bottles because if they get knocked over in game play excitement the drink won't get all over the game board and/or cards. I save the bottles from Beetology juice and solid black metal caps, from the barbecue sauce we use from Wegmans, which fit them perfectly. I have six bottles repurposed so far; I hope to end up with twelve.
The bottles are thick glass and heavy, they look like little bee hives, very Three Broomsticks-ish!


NORTH AMERICAN "BUTTERBEER"
Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer is non-alcoholic, so the kiddos can drink it too! Although, be forewarned that there is stevia in it, though. After I saw cane sugar on the ingredients list I didn't read any more because who puts alternative sweetners in sodas that already contain sugar? It isn't needed because the soda is too sweet as it is. I drank an entire bottle and was in agony for several hours afterward. The bottled versions of Butterbeer from the Harry Potter flagship store in New York City, and the Warner Bros Studio Tour in London, don't contain any alternative sweetners.


Bake up some of these bite-size rune cookies. They are the perfect size for game night snacking!


While you are baking up those rune cookies why not make your guests feel even more magical by making these bat shaped crackers.





This recipe uses chicken nuggets, but you can make them vegan by swapping for your favorite meatless version!



Moon Pies are also secretly made by magical folk! I love to have these on hand for last minute, impromptu game nights which sometimes happen, because, well... no baking necessary! They also come in mini size now; even better for game night snacks.





AMBIANCE

If you don't have enough witchy looking drinkware, don't ruin the mood with flowered coffee mugs and plastic tumblers. These almost cauldron shaped mugs from Target are only $8.00 for four, and of course The Dollar Tree has black mugs and dishes, so you can serve your snacks and drinks with witchiness.


I have plenty of black cotton napkins for magical dinner parties. You can find them easily on Etsy for $4, and even $3 if you save them to a wishlist and check for sales periodically. I do however have a soft spot for paper napkins with designs for game nights and movie nights. I wait until the previous year's Halloween styles go on sale during the summer, these owl napkins are 96¢ for sixteen, and then I wait again for a free shipping week. I ordered ten packages of the owls last month with free shipping. The eyeball napkins are from two years ago. They also have these witch hat and wand napkins on sale, but they're $1.17 a package and I was being cheap. I now see they are a larger size. I hope they have another free shipping week before they're gone!





GET YOUR WITCH FASH ON

The last piece to the most authentic witches' game night experience you can have is clothing. If you are like me your friends and family have already been to at least one of your wizarding world get-togethers and know to either wear all black, or their witchy clothes. For dinner parties I require costuming, but witchy game nights and movie nights are causual. Having a witch or wizard hat is still a must and if my guests don't have their own magical headware, I have plenty of extras they can choose from. The basic felt hats I used to get on Etsy for $6-7 are now $15-20 (dammit witchcore), so if I ever need to restock I'm going to make my own!


This hat on Etsy is $10... okay... BUT add $4.50 for shipping. That stings a bit. A wizard's hat is just a witch hat without a brim. I'll make my own. You could also keep an eye out for free shipping weeks on Etsy. For those of you with cash to burn, and no sewing skills,  I highly recommend supporting Etsy crafters.



HAVE A WITCHY GOOD TIME

OTHER PINTEREST BOARDS WITH WITCHY FOOD
I will be updating this board regularly with more magical snacks and beverages, and other games I stumble upon. If you have suggestions for witchy games you know about, please tell me in the comments!

COMING SOON
A GHOSTLY GAME NIGHT




Stay magical my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.