Friday, September 3, 2021

FIRST FRIDAY FIVE #1 - Books - Food - Happiness - Web Wanderings #FridayFive

FIRST FRIDAY FIVE
SEPTEMBER 2021
FOOD & HAPPINESS

I have been following Katherine's from I WISH I LIVED IN A LIBRARY and Kwante's from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND Friday Five posts, and decided to jump on the idea. My blogging has been suffering from a case of the blahs for the past year, and I thought some new features might liven things up for me! As with Katherine's feature I will have different topics which have caught my fancy. However, I will be adding five things which made me happy every month!





FOOD


My beloved cara cara oranges have been out of season, so I've been having Baz buy new varieties of apples to try and these have been my hands down favorite so far. They are super sweet and crisp!

My grocery store changed the dry basil in their organic bulk aisle. The new basil comes from Turkey instead of Mexico and smells like licorice. Yuck. I had already sent in my monthly Thrive Market order, so I decided to add pesto to my ravioli soup red broth, in place of the basil, and it tasted better than using dry or even fresh! When I was adding more to our Wegman's online shopping list I saw they had a grilled vegetable variety, and added it. The grilled vegetable tastes wonderful in all kinds of soup. Baz bought some sun-dried tomato pesto and put it in spaghetti sauce. It was delicious.


I'm going to count these as one food, ha ha! Every year one of my son's friends asks to go to the six story Destiny Mall, formerly known as the Carousel Mall, in Syracuse for his birthday. They've been going for the past five or six years, except for last year obviously. Baz always brings a little surprise home for me, and this year it was my favorite matcha green tea Kit Kats from Japan. Last week his other group of friends (I have nicknamed them the Nerd Herd, and the Hidamari Gang, respectively, ha ha) went to the New York State Fair in Syracuse, and as per our tradition he brought home some salt water taffy. Candy I only get occasionally always tastes so much better. *At the fair Baz and his friends, who are all fully vaccinated, were double masked and didn't go inside any buildings.*


I have finally found something to eat on Thanksgiving with my sweet potatoes, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce! This meatless chicken breast substitute is fantastic! I am especially impressed with the texture. I'm also going to try and make spiedies with it. I miss eating spiedies.


I love shortbread, but it has to be good traditional shortbread. Traditional shortbread is less sweet, and there's a very specific texture to it. I had some as a special treat on Back to Hogwarts Day when I started my annual Sorcerer's Stone re-read. Also see my new favorite Harry Potter mug!





HAPPINESS

 


My new yellow bowls. Yellow is such a cheerful color! One thing that makes me almost as happy as books is tableware. There were originally four, but one has to go back because of a glazing flaw.


I don't remember how I stumbled across this family of twelve adopted foster children and one biological son, but their vlog makes me so happy! When the parents were fostering they specialized in keeping siblings together. There are also two other adopted adult children who regulary drop in as well as an older biological daughter. One of my dreams used to be to have a large family of adopted children, so I love watching this large loving spirited family! I follow them on Facebook, but they also have a YouTube channel.


When the world gets to be too much and I also don't have enough focus for reading, Words with Friends saves me. Some days I will play against the three computer challengers, in practice mode, most of the day when I need serious decompression. I also play most every day with Liis from Cover to Cover.


I replaced our everyday flatware and decided not to mention it to Baz, just to see how long it would take for him to notice. Today it's been two weeks! Hee hee.

We've been having good fun on Facebook.


Late summer is a great time of year, and even though fall and spooky season are my life force, I hate it when people start pushing pumpkins and Halloween the first day of September. Autumn doesn't start until September 22nd. It's apple and sunflower time! I love going to farmer's markets and street fairs, and taking long evening strolls in the cooler temperatures while it's still semi light outside. There's nothing like September late afternoon sun. It makes me so happy!


What's made you happy lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.