Tuesday, November 3, 2020

TELL ME TUESDAY #321 - Last. Now. Next.

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-ONE

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining us this week...
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



MIDDLE GRADE
SERIES BOOK #2
NEWBERY AWARD
Published 1922 - Own Kindle Library
This was my October Newbery Award reading challenge title and it also counts toward my 2020 A Year of Classic personal reading challenge. I haven't rated it yet because it is dated, but still a good story if you pre-read it, and do some editing before reading it with, and I stress WITH your MG age child. There are racist labels, but only in name and not intent. The story is actually anti-racist and anti-colonialism. I wish publishing houses would go through classic Middle Grade and update the terms used and the outdated take on history. I also need to look for a copy with the illustrations. The free Kindle Classics edition I own didn't have the drawings in it.

★★★
(3.5)
ADULT FICTION
CLASSIC
Published 1818 - Hoopla Borrow
I listened to a Hoopla audiobook. I liked it, but I don't consider it Horror. It's more like a philosophical treatise on the human condition. I love the Monster point of view parts to the story, but the Dr. Frankenstein threads were almost boring. See my Goodreads review for the details.

★★★
(2.5)
MIDDLE GRADE
STANDALONE
CLASSIC
Published 1970 - Hoopla Borrow
This story was too chaotic and disconnected. It felt strangely dated for a book from 1970. It read more like a book published in the '50s. It's like an Adult Fiction writer thought he could write any old thing, as long as it was crazy, and it could be a children's book... oh, wait...

MY GOODREADS REVIEW
★★★★★
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
CLASSIC SCIFI
Published 1949 - Hoopla Borrow
This was my first book read for November SciFi Month. I read it in my 20s and loved it and I still love it. It makes statements about Colonialism and Expansion Capitalism which still resonate today. It also qualifies as one of my classic reads.



ADULT FICTION
HAINISH CYCLE #4
SCIFI
CLASSIC
Published 1969 - Hoopla Borrow
This is my second title for SciFi Month. It is identified as the fourth book in the series, but I have been told they are more like companion books, and can be read in any order.

GOODREADS
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
Published 1973 - Own Kindle Library
My son and I are doing our third annual Vonnegut buddy read. It was my choice this year, and I didn't remember it being this sexually saucey. Yikes! Ha ha. There are plenty of other elements to discuss, though, so we are doing okay, so far.


GOODREADS
ADULT FICTION
DISCWORLD DEATH STORY ARC #1
FANTASY/HUMOR
Published 1987 - Own Kindle Library and Hardcover
My November choice for Annemieke's TURTLE RECALL Discworld reading challenge.



There are some stellar contests up on the Facebook giveaway page right now. Some are multiple book prizes. Most from major publishers!
There is a huge 28 book James Patterson giveaway listed! Hop over and get the entry link.


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.