Sunday, February 2, 2020

2020 READING CHALLENGES INTRODUCTIONS

2020 INTRODUCTIONS



MONTHLY NEWBERY CHALLENGE
Every year since I put up my NEWBERY AWARD READING CHALLENGE page, I have vowed I was going to read one Newbery book a month and that has never happened. I am off to a good start, though, I read one in January!

MONTHLY NONFICTION CHALLENGE
I rocked this one last year with thirteen! Again, I am off to a good start reading one last month.

MONTHLY MIDDLE GRADE CHALLENGE
I think I should boost this to two MGs a month because last year I read seventeen and last month in January I have already read four!


Except for my Newbery, Nonfiction, and Discworld Challenge books, I will be reading all pre-1970 classics this year! Here are my goals...

READ WAR AND PEACE & ULYSSES
These are loooooooong stories and I will be listening to the audiobooks a little at a time over the entire year.

MONTHLY CLASSIC RE-READ
DRAGONFLIGHT
TO SIR WITH LOVE
TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD
LITTLE WOMEN
JANE EYRE
THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY
(I'm buddy reading the LotR books with my son)
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS
(my yearly Vonnegut buddy read with my son)
WINESBURG, OHIO
DUNE MESSIAH
DICKENS
I am going to let you pick which one I re-read, probably with a poll on Twitter in the fall, and I'll read it in December.

CLASSICS I AM ASHAMED I'VE NEVER READ
FRANKENSTEIN
REBECCA
ANNA KARENINA
THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD
MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA
THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN
THE INTIMIDABLE JEEVES
THE BELL JAR
IN COLD BLOOD
ON THE ROAD
PETER PAN
MARY POPPINS
Do you have any classic books you would suggest?
I am buying paperbacks of some of the more prominent classics, so I can annotate them and have them to remind me of my year of reading classics. I already have To Kill a Mockingbird, Little Women, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Frankenstein. I also want to get Jane Eyre, Their Eyes Were Watching God, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I might buy War and Peace, and Ulysses, too.




First up is the THEY CALL IT PUPPY LOVE READING CHALLENGE, going on this month! Your choices have to have a dog or cat character, or have one on the cover. I will at least be reading THE AMAZING MAURICE AND HIS EDUCATED RODENTS because it will count towards my Discworld change totals, too. Click on the link and join up because there is a giveaway you won't want to miss!


I co-host this challenge with Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG every August. There are a couple of giveaways and I add a new activity every year. This year there is going to be a scavenger hunt! We read books with dogs in them or on the cover. It's so much fun!


This is last year's N.E.W.T.s introduction video because it's not until August and there isn't a new one yet. You can also sit your O.W.L.s in April. Is it April? Yes, I think it's April. I sat my O.W.L.s last year, but didn't have time for my N.E.W.T.s, so I'm doing them this year!


This is Annemieke's DISCWORLD CHALLENGE on A Dance With Books. Right now we are doing a group buddy read on Goodreads of EQUAL RITES. There are 41 Discworld titles and I have only read six, so this challenge should help me add to that measly total. I love and adore Terry Pratchett's writing and his wry sense of humor. Right now my goals are...

1. Read one Discworld series book a month.
2. Re-read The Color of Magic, finish off the rest of the Rincewind story arc, and watch The Color of Magic mini-series.
3. Read The Hogfather around Christmastime and watch the movie.
4. Read at least one Nonfiction book about the series, or Terry Pratchett.
5. Read at least one series companion book.

I am striving for level 3, the LANCRE LEVEL, which is 11-15 books. Be expecting some Discworld blog posts from me, too!

What classic books or authors are you ashamed you've never read?
Have you read any Discworld?
How many reading challenges are you doing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.