Tuesday, February 20, 2018

TELL ME TUESDAY #185 - TOP TEN - Buh-Bye Books

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-FIVE
TOP TEN
TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!



Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Michelle from IN LIBRIS VERITAS
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



LAST READ
This was my third Black female author for my own personal Black History Month Challenge! I haven't reviewed it on Goodreads as of yet, but it will be three stars and 3.5 here on the blog.


I had a busy busy day today so you are getting a screenshot of my Kindle queue. Ha!
READING NOW & NEXT UP

MERIDIAN
This is my fourth Black History Month read and I love it. It is the third book in THE COLOR PURPLE collection. Goodreads says this book precedes The Color Purple, but it does not. It is about the Civil Rights movement.

THE MIDNIGHTS
I am having so much trouble with the content in this book. Here is the last update I added on Goodreads...
There have since been some dangerous sexual decisions with no concequences, in fact it alludes to a coolness factor. The MC also started smoking to calm her nerves. Ugh. I am around 75% done and I won't say there is no growth until I have finished, but it looks like there is going to be no enlightenment in this story.

THE TEMPLE OF MY FAMILIAR
I'm not going to say I will get this book finished in February for Black History Month, but I am sure I will be starting it. This is the first book in THE COLOR PURPLE collection.

MEET ME IN THE STRANGE
I was sent an email notification for this from NETGALLEY. It's a READ NOW. I was hooked by the summary and even though I have another ARC that publishes March 6th, I want to get this one read first because it has gotten some of those wonky one and two stars ratings on Goodreads based on ridiculous things, like the teen characters listening to vinyl records. One reviewer thought that was stupid, um... where have they been? Vinyl is popular right now. Also, there is supposed to be a David Bowie Ziggy Stardust vibe to it and one of the MC's gender is never specified. I read another story with a character for which no gender was given and I liked that, I liked it a lot.



HOSTED BY:
I am going to change up the prompt a squidge and tell you why I sometimes decide to never finish a book.
I have a set-aside shelf on Goodreads for books that I decided I wasn't in the mood for, or were non ARCs that needed to be set down because I had too many ARCs due. These are some reasons I will take them off that list and say, "buh-bye." I have also included reasons a book may get the boot right away.

 1. I have gone from "not in the mood" to sick of that subgenre or trope. 
Stories that start with knights in armour riding into town to tell the king of their battle successes or losses, Wonderland retellings, and most Dystopians have been falling to the axe.

2. Classics written in Olde English.
The older I get the less I have the energy to concentrate that much. I put them on the set-aside shelf and never have the energy to get back to them.

3. Books about coding that were summarized as being "easy to understand", but are not.
I have gotten a hold of too many of these via Kindle freebies, and I know it's not me because had to take two Basic language programming classes for my Broadcasting degree, and had no problem coding. I usually set them aside thinking they will make more sense later, but I never get back to them.

4. There ends up being a lot of romance in the story.
I do not read Romance as a genre because, yuck.  However, sometimes there ends up being too much sappy or sexual romance in other genres, and if they are not review books I give them the boot.

5. Graphic violence.
I just don't like it.

6. Fiction stories about the music industry that get it all wrong.
I hate it when non-musicians, or people who do not work in technical fields associated with the music business, write stories about bands, or musicians, or music schools and haven't a clue how things really work, or what people's motivations most likely are.

7. Nonfiction books about music written by people who listened to some albums and think they can tell you all about a genre of music or a band.
This is one of the bad things about ebook self-publishing. There are a lot of "experts" out there that aren't, but readers think if they read it in a book it's valid information.

 8. The book is about a character with an issue, illness, or disability and it obvious that the author has no personal experience with the subject, or they have not done much good research.
Self explanatory. Plus it makes my blood pressure go sky high because they are usually strengthening derogatory stereotypes, spreading false ideas, and in some cases venturing into dangerous waters when talking about medications, especially if the MC goes off a prescribed medication and is "better."

9. Memoirs and autobiographies that are basically a brag session.
Musician's have been known for this, but lately with animal rescue stories and philanthropist stories being popular, many of the ones I have read and attempted to read have been more about how wonderful and sacrificial the author is themselves, with not much about the animals and people they are helping or the programs they are implementing.

10. The author says or does something awful on social media.
I am one of those people who cannot separate the author from their deeds. My reactions depend on the seriousness of their act, most times it means I will still read their books if they are a favorite author, but I won't promote them or review them on Amazon. Twice I was in the middle of reading a book and the author got ugly on Twitter. One book I finished, but didn't review it or even mention I had read it, and I will never read nor promote another one of their books. The other I stopped reading the book immediately and will never read nor promote another one of their books.
What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.