Friday, August 20, 2021

THE BOOK STACKS DIARY - Introduction #BookCollecting #HomeLibraries

THE BOOK STACKS DIARY
INTRODUCTION

I saw Keeping Up With the Penguins' My Kondo 30 post about her theoretical list of the thirty books she would keep if she had to KonMarie her bookshelves, and I knew I had to do one, too! When I started my draft I soon discovered I needed to divide it into three separate posts. Then I started thinking about the posts I have wanted to do about series I'm collecting in hardcovers, multiple editions I have of the same books, and favorite childhood books I've been searching for online; plus all the Stacking The Shelves posts I have needed to do. My solution? A new feature! I will also be posting shelf tours under this heading, and I know you all want to see how my Someday Grandchildren's Library is coming along. Yes?




This post would certainly be bland without some more content, so I'm going to show you the current stack of books waiting to go over to my neighborhood community center's library. The center's library has recently become large enough to be featured on NoMa's social media graphics. I am so excited!


THERE ARE THREE WAYS I GET BOOKS FOR THE CENTER

GOODREADS
Every time I order books from BOOK OUTLET I buy at least one picture book or Middle Grade. I think this hardcover was $1.00 and I've gotten others for as low as 75¢. This is also a great way to help keep public Little Free Libraries stocked. I also put books in LFLs in public parks and at our neighborhood community garden!




GOODREADS
I enter Goodreads giveaways for books I think would be great for the community center.

I won this ARC from Goodreads, but I also send unsolicited physical ARCs to the center, seeing that my public library won't take them for their used book sale any longer.




GOODREADS
And finally, BETTER WORLD BOOKS! Why do I love to buy used books for the center's library from BWB? It's like tripling my donation. BWB is a nonprofit that supports literacy programs internationally and also donates a book for every book you buy!

Can you believe I scored this special edition hardcover used for less than $5.00?




You have probably noticed a #BlackVoices theme in this stack. I have been trying to buy books with characters to which more of the center's visitors can relate. We are a diverse neighborhood.


North of Main
(aka... The Mansion)

*photo from fall 2019*
And a shout out to the neighborhood kids who help keep all that green space neat and pretty.


Do you help fill Little Free Libraries?
Does your neighborhood have a community center?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.