HELLO OCTOBER
MONTHLY READING THEME
SPOOKY SEASON
A YEAR OF BRONTE
LITTLE HOUSE SERIES BUDDY RE-READ
WHAT'S COMING UP ON THE BLOG
THEMES • BUDDY READS • SLOW READS
MY OCTOBER BLOG THEME IS SPOOKY SEASON
•
A Year of Brontë
•
Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens Year-Long Slow Read
•
Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder Buddy Re-Read
CURRENT READ
•
This was supposed to be cozy fantasy akin to Legends & Lattes, the only cozy I have ever loved, but it's not. There are some pretty complex socio-economic and political concepts being considered, so it's more like light Discworld. The humor is similar: it's about a former demon turned turnip farmer. I have to be in a specific mood to read Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and I haven't been in a few years. Maybe this series will nudge me back into it. I didn't care for this story at first, it felt like the author was trying too hard to impress readers with his clever similes, but it settled in around 25 percent and I've been hooked ever since.
✦•┈๑⋅⋯ ⋯⋅๑┈•✦
I have no idea what spooky book I'm reading next.
CURRENT READ
•
Like I've said before the summary made it sound like this was a novelization of the Brontë siblings juvenile writings about a make believe kingdom they started as preteens, but it's not... it's more like a biography; and there seem to be a lot of assumptions being made about the Brontës based on what references, I don't know. They are certainly not based on author Elizabeth Gaskell's detailed biography of Charlotte and, by association, the Brontë family. To me, because she was friends with Charlotte and was also able to interview family members and friends about the siblings childhoods, the Gaskill book is the bible when it comes to the Brontë family. Anyway, I've been forcing myself to push through it a little bit at a time.
GOODREADSNEXT READ
•
This will be my next and the last of the sisters' novels to read. I'm not going to read it until November. Liis and I didn't much care for Agnes Grey, so I can't say that I am excited to read it.

FUTURE READ
•
I found this interesting book, to add to my Brontë readings, about the plants in the sisters' novels. I will have to think of a name for a second year of reading biographies and reference books!
NEXT READ
•
Jolene and I will be buddy re-reading this in October and each making a food from the book.
❀•┈ꕥ⋯⋅ꕥ┈•❀
I am hoping to get the Little House in the Big Woods buddy re-read recap finished and posted this month. If you missed the Farmer Boy recap, you can find it: HERE.
I haven't done a Halloween Toadstone & Bumbershoot's Magical Living post since 2021. Yikes! It was still just Bumbershoot's Witchery Cookery back then. I think it's been almost as long since I've posted a T&B at all. I'll have to check on that. I will be posting one this year and hope to publish a winter holiday season post, too.

There will also be a Halloween The Wednesday Witch.












A Bronte Botany sounds really interesting! I haven't any of Anne Bronte's books and I think I'm going to keep it that way. I am glad to see you enjoyed The Demon Overlords Retirement Plan. Love the title of that one! I think sometimes it does take an author a bit to settle into certain humor or quirkiness and I'm glad that happened in this case. Looking forward to seeing what else you read for Spooky season!
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy The Demon Overlords Retirement Plan! I went to Goodreads to mark it as read, and rate it, and one of my Goodreads "friends" had rated it one star and said it was AI because the writing was "off", but it's extreme satire with some pretty comically twisted similes and metaphors. I then read some of the other one star reviews and many were saying the same thing. However, there is a real human author who has been interviewed many times by other humans. He made the mistake of saying he used AI for research. The torches and pitchforks have expanded to saying the cover art is AI, too. ☕︎
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt's Halloween month. lol I like seeing all the decorations this month. Trying to stay away from candy but hopefully I find a few good books to read. I hope you find some good books to read this month.
ReplyDeleteAt my house it's my birthday month... all month long. 🎂
Delete