Tuesday, January 9, 2024

TURNING THE PAGE ON 2023 -Reading Wrap-Up - Best Books Read - Bookish Disappointments - This Blog in 2024

    

TURNING THE PAGE ON 2023
READING WRAP-UP
BEST BOOKS READ
BOOKISH DISAPPOINTMENTS
2024 ON THE BLOG

2023 ANOTHER YEAR OF ONE BOOK A WEEK
After reading 105 books (28,888 pages) in 2021, believe it or not, in 2022 I decided to try and keep my reading down to a book a week to make time to do other things: playing my instruments, listening to music, and baking.  I was only three books over that target in 2022 with 55 books (16,445 pages). In 2023 I was over by ten books at 62 (19,832 pages) read.
I plan to continue this reading plan into the foreseeable future!




2023 was a year with no central reading theme; the previous year I read all Black authors. This year I had planned to read all Middle Grade books, but there are so many books I didn't get to in the last couple of years: including ARCs, new books from favorite authors, and recommendations from blogging friends. Therefore, I am going to put that off until next year. In fact, I'm going to be freewheeling to the extent of only reading one book for each of my annual monthly themes this year. I'm excited!

2023 READING WRAP-UP


BOOKS READ
62

ARCS
18

PHYSICAL BOOKS
NONE

EBOOKS
37

AUDIOBOOKS
25

MANGA - GRAPHIC NOVELS - COMICS
10

MIDDLE GRADE
13

YOUNG ADULT
2

ADULT FICTION
35

NONFICTION
11

RE-READ
6

BORROWED
24

MY CHALLENGES
NONFICTION 11/6
NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS AUTHORS I/6
BACKLIST ARCS 2/6
CLASSICS 3/3
RE-READS 6/3
FREEBIES/99¢ KINDLE BOOKS 1/12




2023 FAVORITE BOOKS

This is my top favorite book for 2023. It's very well written, something that seems to be lacking in many books published over the last several years. It's about a young Kenyan woman who moves to the US in 1991 to go to college. It's extremely realistic; I think because it is partially autobiographical. The author moved to the US from Nairobi to go to college in 1998. It shows how hard people used to work on their art, music, and novels to give the works depth and meaning. It also shows how racism, and misogyny can manifest themselves in varied forms. I've seen this title listed as Romance on Goodreads, but it really isn't; it's Literary Fiction with a relationship in it.

This book came in at a squeakingly close second. It's not quite Literary Fiction, but it is well-written Chick Lit. Despite being about a death doula, it is uplifting.

MY OTHER 2023 FIVE STAR READS
(excluding re-reads and manga/graphic novels)

★★★★

★★★★

GOODREADS
★★★★

★★★★

★★★★

 
GOODREADS
★★★★

★★★★★
(4.5)

★★★★
(4.5)
★★
(4.5)


HONORABLE MENTION

MY GOODREADS THOUGHTS
★★
(4.5)

LEMONS
My overall star rating on Goodreads in 2023 was 3.3, and I'm pretty sure that's the lowest in the ten years I've been on Goodreads. Nine of the sixteen one and two star books I listed here were ARCs. I also wanted to mention that two of my one star books were Goodreads "Best" of 2023 winners. Heh.

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENTS










BIG DISAPPOINTMENTS




MY GOODREADS THOUGHTS
★★

★★


LOOKING FORWARD
Of course TELL ME TUESDAY and the two new features THE WEDNESDAY WITCH and THE SATURDAY SOUP are staying. My witchery cookery and magical living posts continue to be the most popular posts, but I'm going to be overhauling and freshening them up for 2024. BOOKS AND BEASTIES (formerly Furs-Day Feature) will probably show up quarterly. And yes, I am going to finally start my NOT A BOOK REVIEW, BOOK REVIEW series! Ha ha.
I will be revisiting my THE BOOK STACKS DIARIES which will link up with Stacking the Shelves, and continuing with MY KONDO THIRTY. And PAGE TURNINGS will also be back starting with a post about buddy reads.
Two new features I'm going to try out are THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM where I talk factually about subjects that would most likely get me dog piled and dragged by SJWs on social media. PONDERING WITH PROUST will be a feature where I will be finding answers to the Proust Questionnaire from authors and others, and also getting answers from my book blogging buddies. Thank you Liis, from Cover to Cover, for coming up with a great name for the Proust feature!

A DECADE OF BLOGGING
September 5, 2013 was my ten year book blogging anniversary and over the next year I will be posting about my previous years of blogging: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ha!


What was your 2023 top book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.