Wednesday, January 24, 2024

READING CHALLENGES 2024 #Books #Reading #BookBlog #ReadingChallenges #AmReading #iRead

 
2024 READING CHALLENGES & THEMES

Every other year I usually have a year long reading theme; this year I was going to read all Middle Grade, but there were so many books I didn't get to last year that I am postponing this until next year. In fact... there are so many books I want to get to that I am only holding myself to one monthly themed book: except for the ten days of Carib-A-Thon in June, and November Sci-Fi Month, this year.


MONTHLY THEMES
•
JANUARY
DRAGONS

FEBRUARY
BLACK HISTORY MONTH

MARCH
WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

APRIL
CELEBRATE DIVERSITY MONTH
•
A couple of years ago I realized hardly anyone focuses on disabled people, and of those who do it's usually about mental health, or autism. Physically disabled people are pretty much ignored in books. I think because you can't romanticize it like other disabilities. Therefore, I've switched out my LGBTQ reading for books with characters who have physical disabilities, or intellectual/developmental disabilities (other than autism).

MAY
ASIAN AMERICAN & PACIFIC ISLANDER MONTH

JUNE
NATIONAL CARIBBEAN-AMERICAN MONTH
PRIDE MONTH
•
Carib-A-Thon runs for ten days. The rest of the month I will be focusing on LGBTQ titles.

JULY
SUMMER IN THE CITY
•
Reading stories set in New York City.

AUGUST
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
•
Reading stories with dogs in them.

SEPTEMBER
WITCHES

OCTOBER
SCARY

NOVEMBER
SCI-FI MONTH

DECEMBER
CATCH-UP MONTH



CHALLENGES
•
These were my 2023 challenges and how I did. All but one were personal challenges.
•
NONFICTION 11/6
NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS AUTHORS I/6
BACKLIST ARCS 2/6
CLASSICS 3/3
RE-READS 6/3
FREEBIES/99¢ KINDLE BOOKS 1/12
•
As you can see I was dreadful at fulfilling the Native American authored books goal, the backlist ARCs expectation, and freebie/99¢ ebooks personal challenge. I also failed at these three in 2022. Heh.


I will be lowering my expectations for these three challenges and making a folded paper jar for choosing the freebies-cheapo ebooks.


2024 CHALLENGES
•
NONFICTION - 12
I have a lot of interesting Nonfiction on my TBR this year!

NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS AUTHORS - 4
I don't have much luck finding Indigenous authors I like.

BACKLIST ARCS - 4

CLASSICS - 6

RE-READS - 6

PLAYS - 4
Here's a new category!

MUSIC - 6

FREEBIES/99¢ KINDLE BOOKS - 9

GOODREADS CHALLENGE - 52
For the last seven years I had set my Goodreads Reading Challenge at zero and only used it as a counter, but seeing my goal of the last two years, and this year, has been keeping my reading down to one book a week... I decided to set it at fifty-two.

What are your reading goals this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by.