Wednesday, January 24, 2024

READING CHALLENGES 2024 #Books #Reading #BookBlog #ReadingChallenges #AmReading #iRead

 
2024 READING CHALLENGES & THEMES

Every other year I usually have a year long reading theme; this year I was going to read all Middle Grade, but there were so many books I didn't get to last year that I am postponing this until next year. In fact... there are so many books I want to get to that I am only holding myself to one monthly themed book: except for the ten days of Carib-A-Thon in June, and November Sci-Fi Month, this year.


MONTHLY THEMES
JANUARY
DRAGONS

FEBRUARY
BLACK HISTORY MONTH

MARCH
WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

APRIL
CELEBRATE DIVERSITY MONTH
A couple of years ago I realized hardly anyone focuses on disabled people, and of those who do it's usually about mental health, or autism. Physically disabled people are pretty much ignored in books. I think because you can't romanticize it like other disabilities. Therefore, I've switched out my LGBTQ reading for books with characters who have physical disabilities, or intellectual/developmental disabilities (other than autism).

MAY
ASIAN AMERICAN & PACIFIC ISLANDER MONTH

JUNE
NATIONAL CARIBBEAN-AMERICAN MONTH
PRIDE MONTH
Carib-A-Thon runs for ten days. The rest of the month I will be focusing on LGBTQ titles.

JULY
SUMMER IN THE CITY
Reading stories set in New York City.

AUGUST
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
Reading stories with dogs in them.

SEPTEMBER
WITCHES

OCTOBER
SCARY

NOVEMBER
SCI-FI MONTH

DECEMBER
CATCH-UP MONTH



CHALLENGES
These were my 2023 challenges and how I did. All but one were personal challenges.
NONFICTION 11/6
NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS AUTHORS I/6
BACKLIST ARCS 2/6
CLASSICS 3/3
RE-READS 6/3
FREEBIES/99¢ KINDLE BOOKS 1/12
As you can see I was dreadful at fulfilling the Native American authored books goal, the backlist ARCs expectation, and freebie/99¢ ebooks personal challenge. I also failed at these three in 2022. Heh.


I will be lowering my expectations for these three challenges and making a folded paper jar for choosing the freebies-cheapo ebooks.


2024 CHALLENGES
NONFICTION - 12
I have a lot of interesting Nonfiction on my TBR this year!

NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS AUTHORS - 4
I don't have much luck finding Indigenous authors I like.

BACKLIST ARCS - 4

CLASSICS - 6

RE-READS - 6

PLAYS - 4
Here's a new category!

MUSIC - 6

FREEBIES/99¢ KINDLE BOOKS - 9

GOODREADS CHALLENGE - 52
For the last seven years I had set my Goodreads Reading Challenge at zero and only used it as a counter, but seeing my goal of the last two years, and this year, has been keeping my reading down to one book a week... I decided to set it at fifty-two.

What are your reading goals this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.