Saturday, November 11, 2023

THE SATURDAY SOUP #7

 

THE SATURDAY SOUP
SEVEN
A SPOONFUL OF MY LIFE
FIVE THINGS
MY BIRTHDAY
NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH
AND A SOUP RECIPE

Welcome to The Saturday Soup! It's a floating feature I hope to post once or twice a month, but if I can't find the time there's no pressure. I will be giving a life update and sharing a soup recipe.


This week I am linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by The Caffinated Reviewer.

FIVE BIRTHDAY THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY

1. McDonald's had Filet-O-Fish available AND the milkshake machine was working for my favorite birthday meal!


2. Sunflowers, and my favorite chocolate cake from the Wegman's bakery. I had to wait a couple of weeks for these until my son had time to get over to Wegmans, but the wait, and the price... this tiny cake is $11.00, were worth it! It's the best chocolate cake in the area hands down. Thanks, Baz!

3. Baz made a trip to a nearby specialty gift shop and picked up some birthday goodies for me. The Theo's BBQ sauce is from a local mom and pop soul food restaurant that closed in 2009. Their children decided to bottle the family's two secret recipe sauces a couple of years ago, and Baz remembered how much his father and I loved going there. The Kutik's creamed honey was something he used to gift to me before Wegman's stopped carrying it, so he was happy to see it there. He only purchased a quarter pound sample bag of the Witches Brew coffee, just in case I didn't like it. I haven't tried it yet, but he will go back and get a full pound if I do. I think my favorite gift of them all is the nose pencil sharpener. Ha!


4. Liis, from Cover to Cover, sent a birthday card all the way from Estonia, and she even figured out how to send a US Amazon gift card, so I can buy a book. Thank you again, Liis! HUGS!


5. And last, but well yeah... maybe least; my son in all of his practical gifts glory gave me a tall bed frame for my birthday, instead of the books I asked for. I needed it because my luxating hip is a constant bother now and I, the impractical one, hates spending money on things like this. Heh. It does make my hip happy!



November is Native American Heritage Month, so I thought I would share a recipe based on our indigenous people's, The Three Sisters, companion planting method.

For the last two years our local university has planted a Three Sisters garden in collaboration with the Onondaga Nation Farm, in May. This year the university was the host for our county's seventh annual Haudenosaunee Festival, and the corn, beans and squash were harvested that day.



Five-year-old Josvin Salés of the Onondaga Nation (Syracuse, NY) performs a smoke dance at Binghamton University for the seventh annual Haudenosaunee Festival.

Our city's history and science museum has a very nice Haudenosaunee exhibit. You can see the woman holding squash, corn, and pole bean pods.



Have a wonderful new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.