Tuesday, July 18, 2023

TELL ME TUESDAY #401 Last. Now. Next. - June Reading Wrap-Up - tidbits #IRead #AmReading #Books

 
TELL ME TUESDAY
LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER FOUR HUNDRED AND ONE
JUNE READING WRAP-UP
*tidbits*

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your TBR pile, and why.
I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


THIS IS A MONTH'S WORTH OF BOOKS

JULY'S READINGTHEME
SUMMER IN THE CITY
(books set in New York City)



ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
FANTASY
HISTORICAL FICTION
MAGIC
CIRCUS
FOUND FAMILY
Published June 13th 2023 - Edelweiss ARC
The ending totally ruined this book for me. You can't abandon the magical system you've built just so you can come to a conclusion. Ugh.


MEMOIR
JAMAICAN CULTURE
MUSIC
REGGAE
Published July 4th 2023 - Edelweiss ARC
This was my first book for the Carib-A-Thon reading challenge which ran from June 7th to the 17th. It was my third time participating in Carib-A-Thon. I hope some of you will join us next year! Thank you to Akashic Books for also providing a physical copy of this book, so I can donate it to our neighborhood community center.


MY GOODREADS THOUGHTS
(4.5)
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
FAMILY/FRIENDS
LGBTQ
Published 2021 - Libby Borrow
It was refreshing to read a "lighter" story about gay characters that was written by a gay man and not a straight woman. This was my book for Pride Month. Starting next year I'm going back to reading Caribbean authors only during Carib-A-Thon and LGBTQ titles the rest of June.


(not yet rated)
MEMOIR
JAMAICAN CULTURE
RASTAFARI MOVEMENT HISTORY
Publishes August 29th 2023 - Edelweiss ARC
I'm still scratching my head about the last chapter of this book. Up until then I was going to give this book five stars, but her final thoughts and actions were the ruination of her previous story for me.


MY GOODREADS THOUGHTS
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
LUCY MAUDE MONTGOMERY
FICTIONAL BIOGRAPHY
Published May 30th 2023 - Edelweiss ARC
This author made up events that didn't happen. The most egregious one was L.M. Montgomery having premarital sex, when her personal diary journals say she never had sex before marriage. L.M's inner most thoughts were also interpreted with a Millenial's perspective, not a Victorian/Edwardian mindset. There was also a scene where one of her young sons committed a grusomely violent act of animal abuse, and later the author had L.M. omitting this journal entry. So, if she omitted it from her journal... how does this author know it happened? This entire book made me angry. She said people have a thirst to know more about L.M. Montgomery so, "... that's where fiction comes in." What does that even mean? They want to know more about the REAL Lucy Maude! Grrr... I am going to be reading L.M.'s journals myself, so I can see just how much of this book is rubbish.

 


GOODREADS
MEMOIR
PATTI SMITH
NEW YORK
MUSIC AND ART SCENE
1960s - 1970s
THE CHELSEA HOTEL
Published 2010 - Own Ebook
I know I've said it millions of times... if you want to know what a "rock star" life is/was really like don't read fictional stories. I have yet to find one that has much authenticity. This book is brilliant! It shows musicians and artists "paying their dues"; the struggles that give music its heart and soul, and why a lot of new music is missing this element today. Someone rated this story one star because there is "too much about Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe". Good grief... the book is about Patti and Robert! They're the Just Kids! This is my second book for Summer in the City.
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
SCIENCE FICTION
POST-DYSTOPIAN
ENVIRONMENTALISM
Publishes August 15th 2023 - Edelweiss ARC
As much as I want to dive right into Patti Smith's second memoir, M Train, I've been staying on top of my current review book TBR (we won't talk about my ARC backlist) and I don't want to disrupt my progress! This also qualifies as a Summer in the City theme read.



MAY READING WRAP-UP


BOOKS READ
SEVEN

ARCS
THREE

PHYSICAL BOOKS
NONE

EBOOKS
SIX

AUDIOBOOKS
ONE

MANGA - GRAPHIC NOVELS - COMICS
TWO

MIDDLE GRADE
TWO

YOUNG ADULT
NONE

ADULT FICTION
THREE

NONFICTION
TWO

RE-READ
NONE

FAVORITE JUNE READ
★★★★
(4.5)


2023
YEAR TO DATE TOTALS
BOOKS READ
35
NONFICTION 6/6
NATIVE AMERICAN/FIRST NATIONS AUTHORS 0/6
BACKLIST ARCS 2/6
CLASSICS 1/3
RE-READS 2/3
FREEBIES/99¢ KINDLE BOOKS 1/12
MIDDLE GRADE - 11
YOUNG ADULT - 1
ADULT FICTION - 17
NONFICTION - 6
GRAPHIC NOVELS - 7
AUDIOBOOKS - 13
EBOOKS - 22
PHYSICAL COPIES - 0
BORROWED - 21
ARCS - 9



•tidbits•
I would like to thank Liis, from Cover to Cover, for the heads up on this article via her Twitter account: : @Cvr_2_Cvr






What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.