Tuesday, April 13, 2021

TELL ME TUESDAY #142 - Last. Now. Next. - What's Baz Reading?

 

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
 NUMBER THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY-TWO
WHAT'S BAZ READING?

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining  us this week...



THIS IS TWO WEEKS WORTH OF BOOKS

ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION - 1970s
Publishes May 11th 2021 - Netgalley
You know the old adage, write what you know? Well, this author didn't know anything about the 1970s, musicians, the music business or addiction, so she probably shouldn't have written this book. Someone also needs to tell her that you can't sit in a car with the windows up, for 20-30 minutes, with people smoking pot and not have your clothes reek of it when you walk into the house. I think there was about zero '70s slang used. Musicians also don't listen to their own records and dance around the house to them, or run to get a guitar to make up songs about food every time someone cooks, or songs about shorts/shoes every time someone changes their clothes. I guess she also thought having the word penis on every third or fouth page was edgy. Ugh.

MY GOODREADS REVIEW
★★★
(3.5)
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
FANTASY
CONTEMPORARY - MAGICAL REALISM
KOREAN CULTURE
FAMILY - MENTAL HEALTH
SCIENCE
Publishes April 2 - Edelweiss
If you don't have the rule that Magical Realism has to be Latin American culture based, this is true Magical Realism from before the term was bastardized. In true Magical Realism you don't know if the magical phenomenon is real or not. My biggest gripe with this story was the inserted cheese-ball romance. It stuck out like a sore thumb from the rest of the writing. The time hops forwards and backwards were hard to follow. I would be thinking I was reading about the present and then I would realize it was the past. However, the premise of the story was unique and fresh, and you could tell the author has had experience with the mental illnesses portrayed. I would definitely read this author's next offering. The publicist reached out to me via messaging on Edelweiss and asked if I would like a review copy. I'm glad he did because this book wasn't on my radar at all.

MY GOODREADS REVIEW
★★★★★
(4.5)
MEMOIR
CHRONIC ILLNESS
SNAIL BIOLOGY
Published 2010 - Own Kindle Library
I loved this book. The story is gentle and thoughtful. I learned a lot about snail biology and now I want one for a pet.

★★★
MEMOIR
MENTAL HEALTH
INSTITUTIONALISM
Published 1993 - Own Kindle Library
I haven't had time to review this yet. My only fault with this book is that it was too short to satisfactorily flesh out the other patients. Warning: suicide and self harm.

GOODREADS
★★★★★
MIDDLE GRADE
STANDALONE
REALISTIC CONTEMPORARY
FAMILIES- LGBTQ
Published April 2020 - NetGalley
This book was everything a Middle Grade should be! I would give it six stars if I could.
Review to come.



NONFICTION
ANTI-RACISM
Published - Own Ebook
This is my March I Am Listening title. This is the best anti-racism book I have read so far!

GOODREADS
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
REALISTIC CONTEMPORARY
Published 1997 - Own Kindle Library
A lot of the bad reviews for this book are because there is no action. This is a story about an old man, how much action did they think there was going to be? Good grief. This is a book about the way the publishing business used to be before it became an industry, and the difference between art and commerce. It speaks to my heart. I thought it was going to be more about chronic health issues than it is because it's health and mental health month here on the blog, but I'm going to let it slide.



ADULT FICTION
ALEX STERN SERIES #1
URBAN FANTASY
HORROR
Published October 2019 - Own Kindle Library
I'm also going to fudge this one. The story isn't about someone with an illness, but the author has a chronic illness. I have wanted to read this for a long time.





GOODREADS
He went right from Son of a Witch to this one. He won't be able to go straight on to Out of Oz because I haven't bought any physical copies yet and he won't read my ebook. Ha ha. I haven't had time to ask him how he likes it and he's almost done!


What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.