Tuesday, January 21, 2020

TELL ME TUESDAY #283 - Last. Now. Next.

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-THREE

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!




★★★★
(4.5)
ADULT FICTION
PERN SERIES BOOK ONE
FANTASY
Published 1968 - Owned Ebook
I read this book 35 years ago, but I remembered the story and characters like I read it only last year. A sign of great writing! I am sad the rest of the books were written after 1970, and I will have to wait until next year to re-read them.

★★★
YOUNG ADULT
DAMAR SERIES
FANTASY
Published 1984 - Owned Kindle Library
This one was weird for me as a Newbery Medal winner because all of the other Newbery books I have read were Middle Grade and this was YA, and actually beyond because for 60-70% of the book the MC is 18+ years old and having sex with two partners. The word "lover" was used quite frequently. Strange! Maybe that's why the Printz Award was made for YA in 1999, because teen books were becoming more mature in nature? Anyway, I understand why this was nominated because a strong intelligent female was the focal point of the story, and theme seems to be more important to the Newbery judges than writing and content from my experience, but in my opinion it's not enough of a children's book. It also had a lot of plot conveniences and a couple continuity breaks. I fudged this one for my Year of Classics Challenge. It's not 50+ years old, but it's January Dragon Days and it has dragons, and I needed a Newbery winner for this month.


MIDDLE GRADE/EARLY READER
TRILOGY #1
FANTASY
Published 1948 - Owned Kindle Library
I bought a three ebook bundle on the cheap two or three years ago and I figured they were perfect to read now for my Year of Classics, and January Dragon Days. The story is a wee bit dated in writing style, but would make a wonderful chapter, or two, a night bedtime story for four and five year olds. It has charming illustrations.

MIDDLE GRADE
SERIES/COMPANION #26
FANTASY/HISTORICAL FICTION
Published 1958 - Own Kindle Library
This showed up as a suggested book on Amazon after I downloaded the My Father's Dragon books, and it was only 99¢ so I grabbed it. There are 26 companion books in this series and from reading Wikipedia it sounds like they were popular, so I decided that was good enough for me to be a classic. Ha ha. Have any of you read, or heard of the Freddy the Pig books?


ADULT FICTION
DISCWORLD #1 - RINCEWIND STORY ARC #1
FANTASY/HUMOR
Published 1983 - Own Physical/Kindle Library
The Discworld books, Newbery winners, and my Harry Potter re-reads will be the only Fiction titles allowed to escape the published before 1970 rules of my classics challenge. It's still not stepping too far away because I think they will be classics on their own merit in the future. The Discworld books are for Annemieke's TURTLE RECALL CHALLENGE on A Dance With Books. This one is a re-read for me and it has dragons!

LITERARY FICTION
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTIONI
Published 1867 - Own Audiobook
I have to at least get this one started in January because part of my classics challenge is to listen to my audios of this book and ULYSSES. War and Peace is about 1,500 pages with around 61 hours of listening. Ulysses is about 900 pages and around 28 hours of listening time. I know one thing... when I'm finished with War and Peace I'm going to buy myself the gorgeous Penguin Clothbound Classic above!



There are some stellar contests up on the Facebook giveaway page right now. Some are multiple book prizes. Most from major publishers!


What are you reading? Tell Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.