Tuesday, April 9, 2019

TELL ME TUESDAY #243 - Last. Now. Next. MY WEEKLY PULL

LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY-THREE
MY WEEKLY PULL

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your tbr pile, and why. I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


Joining us this week...
Jolene from JO'S BOOK BLOG
Kwante from KWANTE IN WONDERLAND
Stop by and have a look at their latest grabs and tell them yours!

LAST WEEK'S TMT



★★
(2.5)
Too many plot points were vague. The sciencey elements were not well supported, and this is extremely important to me when it comes to Science Fiction. He said he set out to write a SciFi/Fantasy hybrid, but where was the Fantasy? I think it was his way of negating the need for workable believable science. There were also way too many long stretches of cheesy annoying soap opera situations and dialogue. The author is a second rate Stephen King, in my opinion. Much of the time I was reading The Stand kept coming to mind. I am angry I wasted Audible credits on books two and three, but people were raving about the series and I fell for the hype.



MEMOIR
Published February 5th - Netgalley
This isn't a Middle Grade like I thought, and the parts that are of her young childhood are strange because it's like she acting and reacting like a forty year old. The writing is dry and lifeless, too. I wish it wasn't a review book because I would DNF it. It's taking me forever to read it.



YOUNG ADULT
STANDALONE
SCIFI/DYSTOPIC
AUTISM
Published March 2016 - Owned
Finally a SciFi book for the DANCING WITH SCIFI AND FANTASY READING CHALLENGE which also fits my monthly blog theme!

MIDDLE GRADE?
STANDALONE
CONTEMPORARY
ISSUE RELATEED
LGBTQ+
Publishes April 5th - NetGalley
This will be my next ARC and it also fits my monthly blog theme.




MANGA. COMICS. GRAPHIC NOVELS.
Drop by Lindsi's blog on Wednesdays. There's a linky!

This book felt outdated, and it was only published in 2014. Somehow she was equating being a "tomboy", a girl who likes to do boyish activities, with being transgendered. In fact, not only wasn't she trangendered, I am also questioning her calling herself a tomboy because her whole wanting to "dress like a boy" was for physical comfort, and her not wanting to become a woman was inconvenience based: as in not wanting to deal with periods and bras. I don't know any women who like dealing with periods and bras. She called tomboys with braids "fake tomboys"; I don't think she Googled the definition of a tomboy. She saw herself as this special trailblazer, and really what she was was a whining spoiled brat. She took that ridiculous route of demonizing boys who like feminine girls, and girls who like to be feminine, too. I felt readers looking for insight or validation would most likely come away with bad ideas and even more confusion. In a way she trivialized the struggle of transgender people.

I'll be reading these, next. I borrowed them from HOOPLA.

What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.