Wednesday, November 30, 2022

2022 SCI-FI MONTH WRAP-UP #AmReadingSciFi #ScienceFiction #NovemberSciFiMonth

2022 SCI-FI MONTH WRAP-UP


NOVEMBER SCI-FI MONTH
It's Clive my Sci-Fi month mascot trying out the chia pet look this week! Don't be sad because he'll be popping up again in January. I've changed my annual January blog theme from Dragon Daze, to Robot Raves and Dragon Daze. Clive will be making an appearance every time I read books with AI characters.


WHAT I READ

★★★★
ADULT FICTION
SERIES ONE
FANTASY
SCIENCE FICTION
STEAMPUNK
Published May 2021 - Hoopla Borrow
November is SCI-FI MONTH and this was my first book. It's by the same author as Ring Shout. After about fifty percent the story was fabulous! This author's descriptive skills are well-honed. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I also read the prequel short story A Dead Djinn in Cairo. If you want a taste of what this series is like, you should read it. I think you'll be hooked! You can read it for FREE on Tor (dot) Com: HERE.


ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
SCIENCE FICTION
APOCALYPTIC
NATIVE AMERICAN CULTURE
Published November 2017 - Hoopla Borrow
My second Sci-Fi Month title. Another book that took a good long while to get going. The back half was interesting, however, it needed a HUGE coincidence and a couple of good-sized plot conveniences to move the story forward. Also the science elements were not seated in any sound theory. Even in Science Fiction, if it's set on Earth, the science needs to be compatible with the physical parameters on this planet.


★★
(2.5)
ADULT FICTION
STANDALONE
SCIENCE FICTION
HORROR
POST APOCALYPTIC
NATIVE AMERICAN CULTURE
Published 2018 - Hoopla Borrow
Greg from Book Haven, myself, and Liis from Cover to Cover buddy read this story for Sci-Fi Month. In a nutshell, from me, if you are expecting the book to deliver what it says in the Goodreads summary you will be disappointed. That being said... I'm pretty picky when it comes to Science Fiction in both books and movies because it's my favorite genre and I'm also old(er) and have seen and read a lot of what's out there, and so I have more of the good stuff for comparison.
I know I always say this, but I'm going to do a Not a Book Review, Book Review for this book. I promise! Ha ha. We discussed so many things about this book and connected issues that my head will explode if I don't write a blog post.




THERE'S MORE!


TIN STAR DUOLOGY
Someone on Twitter who doesn't read Sci-Fi was asking for book recommendations of Science Fiction for people who don't read Sci-Fi, and my go to answer for that is usually The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet because it's character driven and there's not a lot of complicated technology elements. Young Adult Science Fiction is most times technology-lite, so I asked her if she read YA and when she said yes, I recommended the Tin Star duology!
If you want to sample the author's writing before buying the books there is a FREE short story, The Sound of Useless Wings, on Tor (dot) Com: HERE.




A DANCE WITH BOOKS
For Sci-Fi Month, Annemieke from a Dance with Books posted about the six bloggers she goes to for Science Fiction recommendations: HERE. She also sells wonderful handmade space themed bookmarks in her Etsy shop: HERE.




GREG'S BOOK HAVEN REVIEW
Greg, from Book Haven, reviewed the last Wayfarers series book by Becky Chambers: HERE.




AMAZON
I guess the reason this calendar keeps popping up in my Goodreads ads is because I have been searching for so much Sci-Fi this month? I do want it, but I'm going to try to find somewhere to purchase it other than the dreaded Amazon. I tried finding it elsewhere by image searching, and got nowhere, but I did find the book this illustration is from...

I am going to read it for Vintage Sci-Fi Month in January! Sometimes we find books in the most peculiar ways. Ha ha. I don't think I have ever read anything by Harry Harrison. Have you?


Did you read any Sci-Fi in November?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.