Tuesday, August 19, 2014

TELL ME TUESDAY #12

NUMBER TWELVE
Now. Next.

Wow, I can hardly believe Brittersweet and I have been co-hosting this feature for three months!

TELL ME TUESDAY is a feature cooked up by my BBBB (Best Blogging Buddy, Bittersweet) from PLEASE FEED the BOOKWORM and I, after having our brains mashed by a Twitter party. It is a weekly, or bi-weekly feature (depending on your personal reading schedule), where we ask you what you are reading now, and why, and what you will be picking next from your TBR pile, and why. We are always curious to know why people read what they read.


*Doctor Who, David Tennant, gifs in honor of a new season of The Doctor starting this weekend,  and my favorite regeneration actor.

NOW
I am reading Dash by Kirby Larsen as my current ARC August Challenge (see button on side bar) read. It is a Middle Grade about the US Japanese internment camps during WWII. I really like this book because it is written like Middle Grades used to be written (if that makes any sense to you), think of Little House on the Prarie style. It is very calming and comforting in a way. I love the idea of the story imparting a history lesson as it goes along. I haven't read much of it because I was feeling headachey-weird yesterday, and now today I have a full on cold (or flu), so I have not been reading. I hope after a couple of cups of hot tea I will be able to use this sick time to my reading advantage. Also, thank-you to Celeste Pewter who sent me her ARC copy of Dash when she heard my Netgalley request had been sitting in limbo for a couple of months.
The other book I am reading off and on is The Galian Spear. It is by an Irish indie author. She sent me a mobi file quite awhile ago because she is planning a re-write, re-issue and wanted my thoughts. The file wouldn't download to my Kindle for some reason even though I have the app for that, and my son was supposed to figure it out for me, but you know how that goes, so when I saw it was on Amazon Unlimited, I signed up for the 30 day free trial. I love the parts about the children, but the history of the Galians is a little long; something easily remedied in a re-write. I definitely think a new cover is in order for the re-issue.



NEXT
As far as my next ARC August read goes, I have no clue. I have several eARCs pending on both Netgalley and Edelweiss, and that new stupid Penguin Publishers site (Has anyone gotten approved for any books on the PP site yet?). I would love to read Atlantia. I am getting a copy of The Body Electric by Beth Revis (Across the Universe), but I don't think it is shipping until the end of the month.
Once I am finished with Dash I will be at my outside number for the ARC challege, six, so I am going to take an ARC break and read The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.

I was extremely excited when I saw it on Amazon Unlimited because our library's copies all have a loooooong waiting lists. I have read one of her other standalones, Elsewhere, and two of her "chocolate" books (I need to read the third book, I feel really awful about it). I just adore her writing style.

I also saw that all of the Giver series is on there, and although I would love to re-read the first books, I might not even get to The Son, which I haven't read, by the time my free 30 days is up.

HOW ABOUT YOU? TELL US!

Don't forget to drop in and find out what Pili from IN LOVE with HANDMADE is reading this week. We love our feature follower!

6 comments:

  1. I was rejected for Atlantia, too! :( It seems like they turn away a lot of bloggers on EW. They're pretty known for it I think, but it's such a serious bummer.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might re-request it. That worked with the two other books I really really wanted to read. That is one good thing about EW, being able to request again. I just don't like groveling in my first requests like I do in my follow-ups; it hurts my soul. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Another rejected one for Atlantia here! Not unexpected really but ya know... what can you do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re-request, I am going to, but I am going to read the free six chapter sampler first to make sure the groveling is worth it. Lol.

      Delete
  3. I grovel all the time for EW.... it doesn't work. Thank goodness for NG. That cover for the Gailan book is FUGLY!! Hope the author relizes SHE needs to change it. Super congrats on your goal for arc august. I need to get to it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I groveled in a re-request twice and got the ARCs, but maybe it was the re-request and not the groveling that did it, then. Lol. The author of The Galian Spear DMed me on Twitter and said this cover is not the current cover, but it was what was on Goodreads, so that is why I used it. I Googled to see if I could find the new cover, but all I found was what was on the ebook, very similar, just a close up of the red face, and not any better. She said she was going to send me the new cover. I will have to check my email. As soon as I get it I will change it out.

      Delete

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.