Sunday, September 13, 2026

HELLO WITCHTEMBER #witches #September #AutumnalEquinox. #MagicalLiving

HELLO SEPTEMBER
MONTHLY READING THEME
A YEAR OF BRONTE
LITTLE HOUSE SERIES BUDDY RE-READ
WITCHTEMBER

I'm linking up with THE SUNDAY POST hosted by The Caffeinated Reviewer.

I fell way behind in getting my Hello September post drafted so I decided to publish a Hello Witchtember post instead. I've been having trouble uploading images on Blogger.


THEMES  BUDDY READS  SLOW READS

MY SEPTEMBER BLOG THEME IS WITCHTEMBER
A Year of Brontë
Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens Year-Long Slow Read
Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder Buddy Re-Read



Liis, from Cover to Cover, and I buddy read Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë last
month and were underwhelmed. I'm going to read her other novel The Tenant of Wildfell Hall in November. It's the last of the Brontë sister's books I have left to read. I still intend on watching the second half of that dreadful PBS show about the family and the French docudrama. I will also be re-watching my favorite Jane Eyre movie soon.




Jolene and I finished our buddy re-read of On the Banks of Plum Creek, the fourth book in the series, in August. I finally published my Farmer Boy buddy re-read post last month, too.

We are still reading along chronological in the Pioneer Girl autobiography and making a food in each each book from the Little House Cookbook.

Here's a photo of Jolene's copy of OtBoPC in front of where the dugout used to be. Nature has reclaimed it. She has visited all the prominent locations in the series and taken shots of each book in front of them.
Up next is On the Shores of Silver Lake.



I am sorry to say that I have set this year's Dickens Year-Long Slow Read, Martin Chuzzlewitt aside. I might pick it back up in November and December and then shelve it until another year. I am beginning to think the few Dickens titles I thought I just never read, I did try to read and gave up on them. I was a voracious Dickens reader in my teens.



GOODREADS
I've been trying to read a nonfiction every month that relates to my blog theme. This one is very education text-like; even though it's touted as not being so. It's as dry as a popcorn fart.
I have given up on fiction at this point. All three of the witch books I have read this month were dreadful. I have searched, and searched, and found only cozies and romances. Ugh. Have I read all the good ones? I thought maybe I would re-read Wicked again, but I did that last year. Then I thought I would try reading Anne Rice's the The Witching Hour again. I first tried to read it about thirty years ago, but neither Libby nor Hoopla had it. There are a lot of Middle Grade titles that look good, but I'm trying to save them for next year when I'm going to be reading all MG.


Some people use Witchtember as an excuse to put up Halloween-ish decor early, but I do immersion living, so I already have a few subtle witchy items sprinkled around our apartment. I have a large black cauldron shaped ceramic bowl on the buffet in the kitchen that has miscellaneous tea tins and cooking utensils in it. The colors in our kitchen are: dark blue, red, yellow, and black. I have dishes in all these colors, but they are a majority black. The art in the kitchen is black cats. The kitchen broom is black and the dust pan is black metal.

Some of my yellow Fiesta bowls and one of the framed posters from my kitchen.

My black tableware even looks a little witchy.

And of course there's Zuzu!
I have a metal cauldron on the bottom shelf of one of the living room bookcases with books I need to take photos of in it. Also on a bookshelf is a gargoyle and a pheasant feather quill pen. The living room bookcases are black as well as the lamps. The couch is dark green and the curtains are gold because I have a few decorative items with celtic knots on them. The candlesticks and throw pillows are black, and the area rug is black and dark grey patterned.
There's a large basket on our half way up staircase landing holding my collection of handmade brooms. One thing I want is some sort of witch-themed coffee table book to put out for Witchtember. I don't know what that would be, though. Any suggestions? Anyway, when you walk into our apartment the idea is that you should feel like you are in a real "wizarding world" (Harry Potter) home without it slapping you in the face.
The apartment used to have subtle Harry Potter hints in the living room: my gorgeous glass and metal Remembrall and custom pupleheart wood wand on the bookshelves, a bowtruckle hidden in a plant, a ceramic Chocolate Frog box and my bronze eagle Ravenclaw mug on my reading chair side table, and my beautiful Hogwarts woven tapestry throw pillow. Now all of those things are in my bedroom because a few of my son's friends are strongly anti-JKR. I moved all of my HP book collection into my bedroom, too. There's, still a Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans tin on top of refrigerator in the kitchen, but no one has seemed to notice.

This is the artwork hanging over the john in the bathroom, and there's a ceramic toad on the bathroom dresser. Very low-key. I used to have a Room of Requirement sign on the bathroom door, but I had to take that down, too.

I also try to make as much witchy looking food as I can. There are a lot of ideas on my magical living Pinterest account, and on my Toadstone & Bumbershoot Facebook page.




Do you read witch books?

2 comments:

  1. Love the toad. That is so cool that she has visited places from the book and cooks the dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by.