HELLO AUGUST
MONTHLY READING THEME
A YEAR OF BRONTE
LITTLE HOUSE SERIES BUDDY RE-READ
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
THEMES • BUDDY READS • SLOW READS
MY AUGUST BLOG THEME IS DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
(reading books with dogs in them)
•
A Year of Brontë
•
Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens Year-Long Slow Read
•
Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder Buddy Re-Read
Liis, from Cover to Cover, and I have started our buddy read of Agnes Grey, by Anne Brontë, for my A Year of Brontë theme. Neither of us have read Anne's books before.
•
Jolene and I started our buddy re-read yesterday. This will also count towards my Dog Days of Summer reading because of the Ingalls' dog Jack.
It's been so hot neither Jolene nor I made our chosen recipes from the Little House on the Prairie story, yet. She is going to make cornbread and heart-shaped cakes. I'm going to make cornbread and bean porridge. I made cornbread for the Little House in the Big Woods recipes, along with johnny cakes, but the cornbread was eaten before I had the chance to take photos. Ha ha.
•
I also pinkie swear AGAIN that my Farmer Boy post will be published next week. I feel terrible. I'm having trouble paring it down to a manageable length!
•
Is anyone watching the new Netflix Little House on the Prairie series? Do you like it?
This is the ninth year for Dog Days of Summer. For the first five years I had an international giveaway, a tag post, and a bingo card. I also published two or three dog related posts other than the challenges posts. After Amazon closed it's international website and I couldn't send book prizes any longer, and then sending Amazon gift cards to other countries became obsolete, I started sending custom bookmarks from Annemieke's (A Dance with Books) Etsy shop until she closed the shop. The sixth year I donated twenty dollars to the giveaway winner's animal rescue of choice. The last two years I have donated five dollars for every book participants read up to twenty dollars to my local rescue shelter. This year I am just going to donate twenty and forgo any formalities. Next year for the DDOS ten year anniversary I will do a separate international giveaway of things I can send in a regular envelope and a Barnes and Noble gift card for the US participants.
TRAVEL MEMOIR
•
Steinbeck is hot on Bookstagram right now amongst the classic and Literary Fiction crowd, so this will be my second DDOS title.











I have never been a big cornbread fan but I do want to try johnny cakes. If I remember right my favorite Little House book was The Long Winter. I still vividly remember Laura's descriptions of how cold the room was that she slept in when she was a teacher. I've read Travels with Charley but it's been awhile. If I remember right I think I prefer Steinbeck's fiction.
ReplyDeleteAlso, the Audible subscription is pretty much just like Kindle unlimited but with access to the full available catalogs included new releases and best sellers.
We ate the johnny cakes like pancakes with maple syrup and as "biscuits" with our dinner. Sebastian liked them so much he has wanted to make them again. 🥞
DeleteThanks for the information about the Audible subscription. 🎧
I haven't watched the Little House series on Netflix, but I've been wanting to.
ReplyDeleteI haven't watched it either. I'm still making up my mind because I have trouble liking new casts for shows and movies. 📺
DeleteI will be super curious about your Steinbeck experience. I have been in a sort of a reading slump and I tried to start a Steinbeck, but set it aside as I was just too frazzled myself to continue. I need to get excited about Steinbeck through you, should it be in the stars :D
ReplyDelete