HELLO JULY
MONTHLY READING THEME
A YEAR OF BRONTE
LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE BUDDY RE-READ
DEWEY'S 24-HOUR REVERSE READ-A-THON
A little late. I know. I know.
I'm linking up with THE SUNDAY POST hosted by The Caffeinated Reviewer.
THEMES • BUDDY READS • READ-A-THON
•
MY JULY BLOG THEME IS SUMMER IN THE CITY
(books set in New York City)
•
A Year of Brontë
•
Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens Year-Long Slow Read
•
Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder Buddy Re-Read
•
My first book for Summer in the City, Everything/Nothing/Someone, was a flop. I DNFed it. However, the second book I read, The Dakota Winters, was brilliant. I think it is the third book I have read about the Dakota apartment building at 1 West 72nd Street in New York City.
•
I am now reading The Lions of Fifth Avenue. It's Historical Fiction about the New York Public Library.
•
Liis, from Cover to Cover, and I buddy read this abomination. It is not a legitimate prequel to Jane Eyre. It's garbage.
•
Our next A Year of Brontë buddy read will be Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë.
This will be my next buddy re-read with Jolene.
I sure do hope this one has a lot less Native American hate than Little House on the Prairie.
•
I also pinkie swear that my Farmer Boy post will be published next week.
•
At first I couldn't figure out what a "reverse" read-a-thon was, but instead of being from 8:00am Saturday to 8:00am Sunday, it's 8:00pm Friday to 8:00pm Saturday.
•
For my very first Dewey's I read Haruki Murakami's 1,300+ page behemoth, 1Q84. Since then I have read Japanese authors for every Dewey's read-a-thon. This year is no different.
•
MY LIST
(Libby borrow)
(own ebook)
(Own ebook)
I read from 8PM Friday to almost 7AM on Saturday and had to take a four hour nap before resuming. Ha ha. I read all three books, but Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto was the only one I enjoyed. I will definitely be reading some of her other books. It was two short stories somewhere between Japanese Light Fiction and Literary Fiction.
And the Dewey's experience isn't complete without snacks!
I ended up not drinking any soda; only coffee.
☕︎















I would definitely pick the berry flavor of soda! I don't remember as much interaction with Native American interactions in the next books in the Little House series but I could be wrong. The family certainly does not have an easy time of it and I've read a theory that the girls not having children was most likely due to the intense malnutrition they experienced in some of their developmental years. Apparently, the books way undersell how tough things were. Not sure of the truth of it but it is interesting. Enjoy your reading!
ReplyDeleteLaura had a daughter, Rose. In fact, Rose was the one who edited and got The Little House books published for her mother. Mary was never married, and Carrie didn't get married until she was 42 years old to a 59 year old widower and it is said that it was a marriage of "convenience" for her husband to have someone to raise his two children and for Carrie to have someone to support her, and probably was never consummated. It was also said that Carrie was frail from birth and the one winter 1880-1881 when they ran out of food affected Carrie more because of her underlying poor health. Grace married a man 24 years her senior and it is said that marriage was also in name only because Grace was a journalist and focused mainly on her career. Jolene and I are reading Pioneer Girl, Laura's autobiography written for adults, along side the Little House series re-read, and Pa could have moved the family back to Wisconsin (the Big Woods), where his extended family lived well, at any time; in fact they did once: LH in the BW is a combined story of two times they lived in the Big Woods house. However, Pa's fever for conquering Indian Territory kept them returning to it. He could also have sent the girls to live with family members in Wisconsin until they were well established somewhere. There was also the diabetes that genetically ran in the family. Mary never had it, but Carrie and Grace had symptoms early on and Laura wasn't symptomatic until shortly before her death at 90 years old. I am not saying anything about the girls, they were children, but as I said in my other reply, and from Laura's account herself... the adults did know what was going on, and the pioneers' plan was to settle as much land as possible and force the Native Americans off the land. This is part of history, too. It shouldn't be White-washed. ☹︎
DeleteThose Harvest Snaps are so good. I don't drink a lot of soda.
ReplyDeleteThe Harvest Snaps are a godsend: no saturated fat or cholesterol, and low salt. When I first started buying them a couple of years ago I was surprised how good they tasted. I always have to ask my son if he is in the mood for a soda because I can never drink a full bottle. ☺
DeleteI enjoyed The Lions of Fifth Ave. I hope you do as well. I read the Little Prairie books as a child then watched the TV series.
ReplyDeleteThere is a new Little House on the Prairie series that is going to air on Netflix. 📺
DeleteI love books set in New York City. The Cat Who Saved Books looks like something I need to read. I hope you have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThe Cat Who cover is so nice I wish I could find a poster of it. ☺
DeleteThe timezone difference makes participation in Read-a-Thons difficult for me unfortunately. The Lions of Fifth Avenue has been on my TBR for a while.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your week, happy reading!
I had a difficult time with this read-a-thon starting a 8PM because I had already been up for eleven hours. ☺
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI see a lot of LHotP discourse lately lol I loved the series as a kid and don't remember the books at all. I have no desire to revisit any of it because I'm sure I'll see it all differently now.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy all your summer reading!
I think it's being talked about a lot lately because of the new Netflix show. ☺
Delete