Saturday, June 1, 2024

HELLO JUNE

HELLO, JUNE
What's coming up in June on the blog and at home? Let's see!
I have decided to bring back the HELLO monthly feature. I haven't posted one since December.
I am linking up with The Sunday Post, hosted by The Caffinated Reviewer.

A building in my city lit up for Pride Month

NATIONAL PRIDE MONTH
CARIBBEAN-AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH

NATIONAL CANCER SURVIVORS DAY - June 2nd
FATHER'S DAY - June 16th
JUNETEENTH - June 19th


HUG YOUR CAT DAY - June 4th
NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY - June 7th
WORLD OCEAN DAY - June 8th
NATIONAL BEST FRIENDS DAY - June 8th
WORLD DAY OF MUSIC - June 21st
GLOBAL BEATLES DAY - June 25th
 •
NATIONAL POLLINATOR WEEK - June 17th-23rd


SUMMER  (ESTIVAL) SOLSTICE
JUNE 20TH 2024
 (not the same as the summer solstice)



⚫ READING ⚫

I used to read all LGBTQ+ books in June, but five years ago I started joining Karen, from Runwright Reads, and her Carib-A-Thon read-a-thon. Now I read one or two LGBTQ+ titles and a few Caribbean authored books in June. A few times I have been able to find stories that fit both categories.

GOODREADS
This is what I am hoping to read for Pride Month. I loved and adored The Guncle; it was refreshing to read about a gay main character penned by a gay author, and not some stereotyped caricature thought up by a straight person.


The read-a-thon runs June 9th through the 23rd.You can find my Carib-A-Thon Goodreads shelf: HERE. I just realized I don't have a shelf for Caribbean authored books I have already read. I'll remedy this and come back and add the link.

There will be a group read of Village Weavers during the read-a-thon with a discussion on the 23rd. I have never had the time to join the group read, but I'm going to try to get a copy of this one! It's also LGBTQ representative.

This was Karen's book club title for January. It's a collection of short stories, so I'm thinking it might be a good starting point for first time participants. Will you join us?



⚫ IN MY LIFE ⚫

A MURAL IN MY CITY
This is also the cover photo for the community resources and food security Facebook group I admin.


It's mainly an information sharing hub for community outreach groups and food equity activists, but we also have quite a few community residents in need as members. It starts getting extremely busy in June with all the free summer meal programs for school-age children and teens starting up, free summer kids activities at the city community centers and public parks, and community day camps. There are also extra free produce giveaways as the community gardens start to mature. These added to the regular food pantries, free food distributions, free adult classes and activities, and mental health services makes for a chaotic summer in the group. It's a good thing I'm a professional Controller of Chaos. Ha ha!


ESTIVAL SOLSICE
I celebrate Estival (Summer) Solstice with the Pagan-ish members of my family and friends. It's not a religious celebration, or even a spiritual thing... really. There was a quote from a book I saw a couple of days ago which summed this up perfectly, but I went to Google something and when I came back to Facebook the post was no longer in my feed. I thought the page was called Winham Books, but there is no such page. Anyway, it's kind of a celebration of life (living) in the summer season and welcoming it back, ha ha. I'll stop now before I start making it sound weird. We definitely don't dance around naked under the moon if that's what you are wondering. It's not even optional. Heh heh. The above cake is from the Practical Peculiarities recipe book.

I always try to have at least one food with a sun on it. I have this stencil from Breadtopia and I've also used it on round cakes and a pie in the past.

My tradition was always to have a rhubarb combination pie (I've tried making straight-up rhubarb pies in the past and they've been dreadful), but since my mother sold her house and I don't have access to the rhubarb patch any longer, it's been hit or miss finding it at the farmers markets. I found a recipe for cherry rhubarb pie. I've never made that combination and I just might give it a whirl this year; if I can find rhubarb that is. What is your favorite rhubarb pie combo?

Everything else is basically common vegetarian and vegan picnic foods with floral garnishes. Everyone brings a dish to pass. We even sometimes manage homemade ice cream with an old hand-crank ice cream machine! I have a Pinterest board with recipes, tablescapes, flower mandala ideas, drinks, flower crown tutorials and other summer solstice ideas: HERE.

We also make a few flower mandalas.


What are your plans for June?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.