Tuesday, February 20, 2024

TELL ME TUESDAY #410

   
TELL ME TUESDAY
LAST. NOW. NEXT.
NUMBER FOUR HUNDRED AND TEN
WHAT'S BAZ READING?

TELL ME TUESDAY is a floating feature, depending on your reading style, where you tell us what you read last, what you are reading now, what you will be reading next from your TBR pile, and why.
I am curious why people read what they read, so tell me!


ONE BOOK A WEEK
I'm still trying to keep my reading down to one book a week.




GOODREADS
(0)
YOUNG ADULT
STANDALONE
FANTASY
Published April 2023 - Edelweiss Review Copy
This book was unimaginably bad. It had more obscenities in it than most of the adult fiction I have read, there was even a page that had MFer on it three times! All the students were beating on each other and talking about lynching other students. The common theme through the story was excrement; there were two characters called Number One and Number Two. The "magic" was never explained. There was magical sewage that gave students powers. This book has no reason to exist. It was not an ARC. I was approached by the publisher on Edelweiss last month and asked if I would like a post-publication review copy.

MUSIC HISTORY
MEMOIR
BLACK MUSIC
1960s - 2020
Published 2021 - Hoopla Borrow
This book is wonderful. It gets technical both in production methods and music theory applications at times, so I don't think it will be for everyone, but if you are a music and/or history buff you will still like it. I read this as my Black History Month title.



GOODREADS
LITERARY FICTION
CONTEMPORARY
MYSTERY
POLAND
Publishes March 4th 2024 - NetGalley ARC
The first 10% was boring, but now it's wonderful. It's a Contemporary Mystery about translators, the love of language both written and spoken, the human condition, and the environment. It's slow paced, but there are a lot of plot intricacies so it's necessary.
.


GOODREADS
WOMEN'S FICTION/LITERARY FICTION
STANDALONE
HISTORICAL FICTION
BLACK HISTORY
CHICAGO SUMMER 1999
Published 2022 - Hoopla Borrow
I know I said I was only going to read one monthly theme book a month this year so I had more time to graze, but it felt not quite right to only read one Black History Month title. This book comes highly recommended by Ethan from A Book a Week.

.

I realized this photo is about nine years old, so...


GOODREADS
I haven't posted an update in almost ten months! This was the book he was preparing to read next at that time last year. He loves Patrick Rothfuss. He liked the Kingkiller Chronicles books much better than George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. He isn't interested in continuing on with Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series. However, there is the same problem with the Rothfuss series as with Martin's... he's been promising the third Kingkiller book since 2013.

GOODREADS
He really liked this book, but the ending depressed him. I loved this story! I need to buy a copy of The Martian for him. I don't recall anything about its ending being depressing.

GOODREADS
Now here's a George R.R. Martin book he loved. It's obvious the person who wrote the review of this book, that made me want to buy it for Baz, actually never read it. The review said there were twenty sentient cats that help the captain fly the ship and that's not true. Yes, there are a lot of cats... except all but one are everyday cats and they don't help run the ship, ha ha. I think I still would have wanted it, but maybe I halfway forgive the reviewer for fibbing because it gave me an extra nudge. It had been out of print for the last eleven years and I had been looking for a used copy for Baz, for about five years, that didn't cost a fortune. I was so happy when I saw it had been republished last fall.

GOODREADS
This will be his next book. One good thing that came out of the pandemic is my local library's weekly "What Are You Reading This Weekend?" post to their Facebook page became much more popular. It's calmed down a bit, but there are still a few guys around my son's age, one is a librarian's nephew, who read a lot of SFF. They are a fountain of recommendations. Three of them suggested he might like the The Stormlight Archive series. I also saw that Lashaan, from Roars and Echoes, gave it a glowing review. I found a reasonably priced paperback copy from Better World Books. It should be here next week. Has anyone read these books, or anything else by Sanderson? I know he was popular with book bloggers when I first started blogging, but I don't think they were reading this series, I think it was the Mistborn series.


What are you reading? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for dropping by! I love to chat, so comments get a lot of love.